Checking inlet metering/ SCV/ volume control valves

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Burt_100
OneWave
OneWave

Checking inlet metering/ SCV/ volume control valves

Post by Burt_100 »

Hi,
I fit a lot of Inlet metering/ SCV and volume control valves to different vehicles, I have been using fault codes, slow fuel pressure readings and verifying the signal to diagnose but I am not completely confident that I am always making the correct diagnosis. Are there anymore tests that I could carry out to verify failure? i.e excess duty/ frequency or high amp draw and if so what figures should I expect? I am talking generally speaking as I have replaced ones on Bosch and Denso and systems recently on Ford, Toyota, Vauxhall and Mitsubishi vehicles.
It may not be a one size fits all diagnosis but i'm just wondering if there is anything I can do additional to be almost certain of the cause of the fault.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Checking inlet metering/ SCV/ volume control valves

Post by PicoKev »

As with many things we as tech's deal with there is probably only one simple answer. :idea:

:D "Known Good's" "Known Good's" "Known Good's" "Known Good's" and even more "Known Good's" :D

You Say:
Burt_100 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 pm

I fit a lot of Inlet metering/ SCV and volume control valves to different vehicles,
There is your opportunity! Every time you fit a new one, scope it to within an inch of it's life. that way you will get to see the differences between the faulty one that you tested to start with, and the new shiney one you replaced it with.

Preferably upload the "Known Good's" to the Waveform Library and job done!

Kev.

Burt_100
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Burt_100 »

Ok will do but what should a known good show against say a sticky or slow to react solenoid? I.e high duty, current flow?

scottpitcher22

Post by scottpitcher22 »

Check if the valve is normally open type or closed. If normally open disconnect it and see if the pump can generate full pressure and scope how quickly via rail pressure sensor. If it’s normally closed ground the control wire, if it’s ground controlled and do the same test. If they build full rail pressure and quickly, your fuel supply is good, your pump is good, likely the imv.
If fuel pressure does not build to full pressure or quickly, you can get dummy imv to replace the imv to act as a known good fully open imv. If full fuel pressure is then generated quickly then you have a faulty imv. if it doesn’t you need to test the rest of the fuel system.
If it’s a concern of uneven idle (Renault 1.5dci comes to mind) I scope imv control and current with rail pressure. If rail pressure fluctuates use a math channel to graph duty of the imv to prove the pcm correcting the pressure via imv. Confirm good fuel supply, confirm injector leak back, Quick test as previously mentioned to ensure fuel pump can supply full rail pressure which confirms imv is at fault.

That’s just what I’ve learnt and I’m no way an expert on diesels

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Burt_100 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:45 am
Ok will do but what should a known good show against say a sticky or slow to react solenoid? I.e high duty, current flow?
Look at what it is commanded to do and what it is doing.

Scope the Power supply, Duty Cycle, Current Draw and FRP Sensor.

I like to drive them with a PWM Emulator, you will need to convince the ECU that it is not unplugged if you emulate it.

Burt_100
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Burt_100 »

Ok so how fast should I expect to see a change in fuel pressure once a higher duty/ demand from acc pedal is applied?

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Burt
Ok so how fast should I expect to see a change in fuel pressure once a higher duty/ demand from acc pedal is applied?
Using the ACC is a good way to do the test but not the Best !!

You can create a larger demand on the HP System using an emulator or as Scott has outlined. Full pressure build up should be almost instant. Within a second.