BNC Extension lead

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Steve Crayston
OneWave
OneWave

BNC Extension lead

Post by Steve Crayston »

Hi All, Just received my new 4225 & accessories today. On inspection the TA167 (2000 Amp Clamp) has a 2m cable with a Female BNC connector which is fine so long as you can get near what you are working on, I'm usually working on large construction / Quarry Machines so could do with an extension. Does anyone know of any such extensions (BNC Male or jack to BNC Female) or adapters ???

josegumby
OneWave
OneWave

Re: BNC Extension lead

Post by josegumby »

Hi, they sell extensions for just that sort of thing at autonerds.

https://www.autonerdz.com/testleads.html
Attachments
20200310_214038.jpg

Steve Crayston
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Steve Crayston »

Hi Josegumby,
Thats exactly what I'm looking for, Thanks.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

The TA130 from Pico HERE is 2 Metres longer at 5 Metres, and no hassle with import duties and VAT being added on at the port. :D

All you will need is a gender changer for couple of quid from eBay. (Example HERE)

Kev.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Steve,

Great to see other industries now seeing how Pico can support their diagnostic process. Look forward to seeing a potential case study from one of those machines! :D

Extended the cables on these machines is often necessary. I was looking at a JCB 220S just the other day and needed to lengthen a current clamp lead as you have mentioned. Please be mindful that any change in the cable length may have an affect on the signal. If you just need to have it on the screen then it will be fine, if you need accurate measurements then maybe get that measurement first to qualify it before extending the cable. I can't see it making that much of a difference but something to be aware of.

If you haven't already seen them, we also do 5m x1 test leads that I've found to be extremely useful when looking at these bigger machines.

Hope this helps and if you need any support please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

Ben

Steve Crayston
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Steve Crayston »

Hi Ben,
All sorted now thanks to PicoKev, New Cable & Adapter ordered.
As for the 5m Leads, I ordered them with the 4225 rather than buying a Kit with the 3m leads.
Thanks for the heads up.
Regards
Steve

Steve Crayston
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Steve Crayston »

Hi PicoKev,
Thanks for the links.
It had crossed my mind but I couldn't find the Male/Male couplers anywhere.
Thanks again.
Regards
Steve.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Hi Steve,

Glad to be of assistance. :D

You have got me wondering now, whether a couple of TA130's plus an amp clamp would have a noticeable effect on signal accuracy and or clarity. I have a collection of those adapters so I think I may experiment with joining 2 leads together to simulate your scope at on end of tractor/trailer combination and the amp clamp or whatever at the other end!! :idea: :idea:

Kev.

Steve Crayston
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Steve Crayston »

Hi Kev,
It would be interesting to find out. Let me know how you get on. (I can't have ago as I haven't got my lead yet)
Regards
Steve

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Hi Steve,

I looked up from one of my benches just now and I noticed the coiled up end of the old PC network cable that was left in place from back in the day before cat 5,6,7 etc and realised that it was BNC to BNC coax :idea:

The cable in question is around 60ft long so I am going to get a ladder out and try that out on the amp clamp just for a giggle. :lol:

So the old ancient brain cells ground over and I got to thinking about the early / cheap CCTV systems that use coax / BNC, and low and behold a swifty Google reveals that Toolstation do a 20 Metre BNC to BNC lead for a mere £12.99 inc. VAT. and if you do not have a local store it qualifies for free next day delivery. it has a DC fly lead piggy backed to the coax so you could possibly utilise that as a long test lead as well. They list a 10 Metre version as well. :wink:

:arrow: LINK HERE

I can feel some experimenting coming on...... :wink: