Crankshaft Angular Velocity

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
Choppered&Whoppered

Crankshaft Angular Velocity

Post by Choppered&Whoppered »

Has anyone successfully used maths (Fourier Transform) to plot crank angular velocity? Convolving it from a discreet portion of a CKP signal trace.

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Crankshaft Angular Velocity

Post by Martyn »

Tools->Preferences->Options and tick Spectrum then you will get a new button on the toolbar that will perform a SoftwareFFT
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by martinr »

I did look at this (angular acceleration rather than angular velocity) a couple of years ago, but I don’t think I got very far. I remember playing with it for a while with Maths Channels, and I think I quickly came to the conclusion that the number of teeth on the flywheel (around one for every 10 degrees of rotation) was far too few for accurate results (plus there was the interpolation at the missing teeth). My interest lay in determining the health of the engine by looking for discrepancies between cylinders. Instead of looking at the acceleration of the crankshaft, I looked at the reaction: the acceleration of the engine block. I used the 3-axis accelerometer and interface from the NVH kit and placed the accelerometer on a cylinder head bolt and looked at a single channel in PicoScope 6, taking advantage of the equal and opposite reaction.

To give credit where it’s due, this was a collaborative effort: it was Steve Smith who came up with the idea and gave me advice and guidance with it.

https://www.picoauto.com/support/topic21715.html?&p=98375#p98375

What's your interest in determining the accelerations of the crankshaft? Is it similarly engine health?

Choppered&Whoppered

Post by Choppered&Whoppered »

Yes, my interest is in determining cylinder contribution balance (just intellectual curiosity). At lower engine speeds it could be possible to identify engine misfires. It is the same the way the engine control ECU determines this (I live in Toyota World).
Apparently ATS Escope has an application that performs this task.