Channel overrange

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
wohcfets

Channel overrange

Post by wohcfets »

Hello,

I found there is something strange on Pico automotive 6 ,ver 6.14.5.4585 during demo mode(because I have not purchased a pico scope yet) .

As I use the demo mode to look into the injector voltage which is provided inside this software.
There is some moment that on the upper left corner a message" channel overrange" will be shown.
Please see attached 2 pics, one is normal condition , the other is when "channel overrange"happens.
As the voltage is set as AUTO, so during normal condition, the Y axis is up to 5V.
It makes me confused that when "channel overrange"happens, it seems the Y axis is much shorter.
Attachments
Normal.PNG
channel overrange.PNG

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Channel overrange

Post by Martyn »

This is perfectly normal and expected operation for your settings.

What is happening is that initially the scope selects the 5V range as it detects a 2.5V injector spike, but as you are free running without a trigger occasionally there is a buffer with no injector signal and the trace sitting at 0.75V. At this point the auto range kicks in a drops the voltage range to 1V (in your picture), and the next injector pulse at 2.5V that comes along causes an over voltage warning, with the auto range then selecting the 5V range for the following buffer.

Either select the +/-5V range, or add in a trigger from the bottom menu.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

wohcfets

Re: Channel overrange

Post by wohcfets »

I couldn't expect a more clear answer.Thank you very much

Cheers!