Advanced Measurements

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
maxgas
OneWave
OneWave

Advanced Measurements

Post by maxgas »

I am looking for some deeper help with using measurements, frequently when trying to use measurements there is nothing to be seen in the measurement window. For example I am trying to measure a changing injector pulse width, I thought that using the "low pulse width" would be the correct choice but nothing shows up, if you switch to high pulse width there are some numbers shown. Am I on the wrong settings altogether. It does seem quite difficult to get some of the advanced measurements to work.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Advanced Measurements

Post by ben.martins »

Hello maxgas,

Thank you for your post regarding measurements. You can get the low pulse width measurement to work but I find you have to measure between the rulers and make sure one of them is against the induced voltage spike of the injector and then the other can be before the spike to provide you with the pulse width.

There is an easier option and that comes with the introduction of Deep Measure. You can find more about this feature in the following link - https://www.picoauto.com/support/topic17711.html

This allows you to perform multiple measurements on a large amount of data and if you wanted too export this data to Excel for further analysis.

To get started with Deep Measure you have to connect an automotive PicoScope to the PC before starting DeepMeasure. Then select Measurements > DeepMeasure

You will be presented with a dialog box similar to that for serial decoding where you will need to 'create' to add.
DeepMeasure.png
In the setup screen you will have to be quite specific about where you would like DeepMeasure to perform measurements.
DeepMeasureSetup.png
Here I have asked the measurements to take place on Channel B, looking for a cycle threshold (crossing point) of 5V and a hysteresis (how much I'll allow either side of the threshold) of 2V. Keep the rest of the settings as they are and click ok.

You should now have a table populated with a lot of data which can be amended to only show what you would like to see, in this case Low Pulse Width.
DeepMeasure Table.png
Clicking in any of these fields will take you to the relevant cycle and therefore the injection event you may be interested in seeing. As I mentioned before, all this data can be exported to CSV and manipulated in Excel should you wish to convert this data into graph format.

I've attached the PSDATA as an example if you need it but I think this way should get you results much quicker than using the measurement tool.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Ben
Attachments
DeepMeasure example.psdata
(2.04 MiB) Downloaded 341 times

maxgas
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Advanced Measurements

Post by maxgas »

Many thanks for quick reply, I will certainly look into "Deep Measurement", I was hoping to have a live measurement and have tried your suggestion of placing the cursor at the end of the pulse this as you say is erratic but much more stable when I set the resolution to 16 bits than it was at 12 bits (careful placement of the right hand cursor is required.