European Auto Repair Shop - BMW specialized

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
UltimateEuropean

European Auto Repair Shop - BMW specialized

Post by UltimateEuropean »

Hello,

We're a european auto repair shop in AZ looking to become highly proficient with oscilliscopes and hoping this forum is a valuable resource. We're happy to share our BMW expertise with other professional shops, not backyard mechanics, youtubers, or DIYers.

We've played around with the scope a little bit and measured a few known good waveforms we'll upload. One issue so far is the "ruler" function is a mystery - I get what instructions and diagrams say, the software just doesn't work like that! Can anyone advise how to actually use the rulers and what they do?
We also are interested to know how to record a waveform ongoing/continuously instead of filling the screen, going away, then filling the screen again and having to capture it in that exact timeframe?
Thank you!

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: European Auto Repair Shop - BMW specialized

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and welcome to the forum, thank you for the post.

Regarding Rulers, could you clarify the concern you have and with which rulers?

Signal and Time rulers are covered here

Rotation or Phase Rulers are covered here

Moving onto recording seamless data, could you describe what it is you would like to capture?

We have a number of options for capturing events (so limiting buffer count) depending upon your application.

The following forum post describes one such option; streaming data with a deliberately unachievable trigger setting. Please scroll down to “More fault combinations” within this post

I hope some of these help in the interim, take care……Steve

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

UltimateEuropean wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:53 pm

We also are interested to know how to record a waveform ongoing/continuously instead of filling the screen, going away, then filling the screen again and having to capture it in that exact timeframe?
Thank you!
I think this will serve the purpose:

https://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1265231719#13

UltimateEuropean

Awesome. Thank you very much.

Steve thank you for the links, I'll play with those the next few days and get back with you if I have any questions, I appreciate the support. I've thus far found a disconnect or conflict between documentation provided with the scope and how the scope actually works.

For example, when using the pressure transducer to check compression I could not find where to start rulers ot add them to partition into degrees. I saw the button for ruler, but nothing in there to make a ruler appear on the screen.

Also, several preset measurements needed quite some modification on voltage and time scales to actually display tangibly to be able to interpret data from.

Sharpy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Sharpy »

For rotation ruler on the screen pull the green round dot in the bottom right corner to where you want 0 degrees to be and then pull the second green dot to where you want 720 to be, the ruler tab will let you add the partitions you want for each stroke etc

UltimateEuropean

And how am I going to be able to reference 720 degrees? Start to Start of 2 crankshaft reference tooth segments?

Sharpy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Sharpy »

It depends on what your doing but for compression you could use the peaks or add a channel and use spark or injector pulse, you can use the crankshaft if it has sync gap.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Scope gives you a hand but probably you expect too much from it.
Most of the operations like rulers are well covered in tens if not hundreds of youtube movies. It’s not further than a search.
0 and 720 rulers you put to your best knowledge.
Hope your fellows workshops can give you a better hand than me joe public can.