Ford Focus MK3 1.0 Ecoboost no spark.

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
kukushka
OneWave
OneWave

Ford Focus MK3 1.0 Ecoboost no spark.

Post by kukushka »

Hello.

The car in question had its engine rebuilt due to internal failure. After the rebuild, the engine does not start. Cranking speed is good, timing has been double checked, fuel is injected but the spark is missing on all cylinders. I only had few leads and a secondary probe, but can we make an informed decision with just the voltage?

Here is the trigger signal and the secondary with the probe. All 3 cylinders are the same. I counted the spark timing, which is correct. I am curious, what makes the secondary look like that? The coil is a 3-wire one.
Attachments
Focus_Coil_Probe.psdata
(455.3 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
Focus_Coil_Control.psdata
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 685 times

Steve J

Re: Ford Focus MK3 1.0 Ecoboost no spark.

Post by Steve J »

When you crank it, does the check engine light go out and the tacho needle go up a bit?
(Havent looked at the files yet. Im at the phone now)

kukushka
OneWave
OneWave

Post by kukushka »

There are no DTC's present. The tachometer needle does not move, but cranking speed from Forscan is readable, approx 400 rpm. Even without a crank trace, I would assume it is correct as fuel is injected and rotations are measured.

I do not know what makes the secondary look like that..

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

Looking at the captures, I would like to see current flow/activity through the COP power supply as this will reveal the characteristics of each coil.

Would it be possible to retake this capture looking at Coil pack Power, Ground, Current and Trigger signal over 100 ms/div whilst cranking?

Could we then take the same capture using a COP extension lead to capture the secondary event via a HT Pick up? Perhaps sacrifice the channel capturing the Ground Signal.

I have scanned the waveform library for EcoBoost engine codes M1DA, SFJB, YYJA and YYJB (looking for COP) but found nothing!

I hope this helps in the interim

Take care……Steve

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Steve Smith's suggestion above is on point as always.

but in your previous post
but cranking speed from Forscan is readable, approx 400 rpm
I cant see cranking speed at 400 rpm. Can we see a Crank / Cam and Starter current with half a second across the screen.

Also Injector Current if possible.

curiertrans123

Post by curiertrans123 »

kukushka wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:12 pm
Hello.

The car in question had its engine rebuilt due to internal failure. After the rebuild, the engine does not start. Cranking speed is good, timing has been double checked, fuel is injected but the spark is missing on all cylinders. I only had few leads and a secondary probe, but can we make an informed decision with just the voltage?

Here is the trigger signal and the secondary with the probe. All 3 cylinders are the same. I counted the spark timing, which is correct. I am curious, what makes the secondary look like that? The coil is a 3-wire one.
hello ... I have the same problem ...engine rebuilt and no spark...same Focus 1.0 ecoboost, same M1DA...how did you solve it?...thank you

Mankke
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Mankke »

Did someone ever solve this problem?
I have the same problem..

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Check the ground connection for the ign coils ,this bolts to the back of the cylinder head at the transmission side just under the intake manifold.
Danny

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Check the ground connection for the ign coils ,this bolts to the back of the cylinder head at the transmission side just under the intake manifold.
Danny

Mankke
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Mankke »

Thanks you for the answer!
I have to check it one more time, I already checked it ones with a odometer and it shows about 0,1ohm between coil connector (pin 2) and the battery ground point.
Today I find out that if have the the coils and sparks out and the spark grounded with an cabel, that i only have light spark on cyl.2, on the rest (cyl. 1 and 3) I cant see any spark.
Tomorrow I also will get a scope.
Are there any typical weak places on wiring loom?