Help with my wave form please

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Bmw e46

Help with my wave form please

Post by Bmw e46 »

Hi all im new to the pico forum, hope you guys can help or point me in the right direction
I connected my pico scope 2200a to see the wave form for my crank sensor as my car is not starting and all other check have been done such as fuel pumps, ews, etc....

so i connected my scope up to the signal wire on my car i have already checked powers and grounds wires and they seem fine power wire is reading 5v with key on and ground wire is reading 0v with key on
i cannot get to the crank sensor easily so i just went to the ecu and did the reading on there i have saved the wave form and this is what it shows please note this just with the key on no crank or anything just key on

does this show that my sensor has a short to ground anybody, i should see 0-5v squre wave but this is what im getting is it my probes that are causing this or is the sensor shot i didnt have time to do the cam sensor to compare as they are both hall effect please if any one can point me in the right direction tht would be great

first time scope user, the car is a Bmw E46 330d auto 2004
Attachments
first wave form ckp.psdata
(46.82 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

Bmw e46

Re: Help with my wave form please

Post by Bmw e46 »

Any help anyone

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Help with my wave form please

Post by picowight »

Sorry, I am just as new to this as you - but surely you are getting nothing because your car is not cranking.
Set a trigger at 2v, and Single,
20ms/div and 1Ms
Turn on the key, then start the trace, then crank for a few seconds.
Should look like this
https://www.picoauto.com/library/automotive-guided-tests/crankshaft-hall-effect/

Sure an expert will be along shortly!