protocol SENT

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Marciooliveira
OneWave
OneWave

protocol SENT

Post by Marciooliveira »

Hello everyone, my name is Marcio and I speak from Brazil, I recently reviewed a GM vehicle here from Brazil in the butterfly body part and realized that it is already being made by SENT communication, I would like to leave a suggestion for a new update of pico software adding SENT protocol decoding thank you friends.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: protocol SENT

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Marcio,

Thank you for your post. SENT isn't uncommon these days and can be found a variety of sensors like the throttle body that you have seen on GM. I expect you will also see it on the MAF sensor as well.

To answer your question you should see that SENT is already added on the list of serial decoding options with the option of FAST and SLOW.
SENT.jpg
If you can capture some raw data and post the file either here or on the waveform library then we could all take a look.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Ben

Marciooliveira
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Marciooliveira »

Thanks Brother

ashtray1987
OneWave
OneWave

Post by ashtray1987 »

Hi Guys,

Attached is a SENT waveform from an air intake pressure/temperature sensor on an M260 W177 Mercedes-Benz A200.

You will need the SENT Fast decode.

Sorry I don't have any reference files to decode this signal.
Cheers
Ash
Attachments
Mercedes-Benz_A-Class_SENT Signal downstream pressure and temperature sensor.psdata
(7.83 MiB) Downloaded 779 times

dieseljohnny
OneWave
OneWave

Post by dieseljohnny »

Is it possible to tell us if the engine was idiling, revving or key on ignition off during this capture?

ashtray1987
OneWave
OneWave

Post by ashtray1987 »

Engine was running at idle during this recording.

If you're able to decode it, please do share :-)

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello all,

Thank you ashtray for uploading this file as I must admit I've yet to see a SENT signal let alone decode it!
Mercedes Sent with decode.png
I've done the decode based on a SENT FAST and SENT SLOW and you can do the same using the serial decode tool. In SENT FAST you will be asked to select what the sensor type is which you can select from the drop down box. If you include SENT SLOW you also see the additional data on top of the data underneath.

I hope this helps

Ben

Haegar333

Post by Haegar333 »

Hello Bens,

i have a 2204 A USB Oscilloscop and want to decode a Fast and Slow SENT Signal.

I managed to decode the Fast Ring, getting almost reliable Messages in the decode table.

But the Slow Ring is a problem. I was opening up the time frame to get enough messages to have a full Slow Message, but i only get a low number of messages decoded. Most of the messages have a CRC Fault.

Is the 2204 A good enough to cope with the Slow Messages?

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Haegar,

Please accept my apologies for only getting back to you now on this. If I'm being completely honest I've never tried the 2204 on a SENT circuit. To get the SENT slow messages you need to have a number of FAST messages to create a SLOW message. With the 2204 the sample rate and resolution are going to let you down when it comes to capturing lots of data with enough resolution to decode. I can try to see where the limitations are with SENT and a 2204 but being on the Automotive side of the business we don't get a lot of time to use the Test & Measurement devices.

It may be you have to find the balance between sample rate and buffer length in order to see more packets of data. For more information on the 2204 limitations could I recommend emailing into support@picotech.com.

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance right now and if I do get a chance I will post my findings here.

Kind regards

Ben

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello all,

Apologies, I should have posted the link to following topic as there is a lot more information in decoding SENT data here - viewtopic.php?p=99852#p99852

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Ben