Hello from Kent , Uk

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
gstuart

Hello from Kent , Uk

Post by gstuart »

Hi everyone

My name is gary , have a discovery 3 and been very interested with the can bus system for a few years now

Would like to gain more knowledge along with it being very interesting

Use a gap iid for diagnostics and now looking around for an oscilloscope, around
£100- 200 range as I wouldn’t be using it every day , but haven’t got a clue which one to go for

Am a former heating engineer so really enjoy fault finding ,

the can bus system is all new to me, but like to really know how something works if there’s any chance of fixing it

Spent 4 x months looking for an airbag fault , broken wire in one of the looms, so don’t give up , just really enjoy the fault tracing side

Apologises am gassing and look forward when I’m able to give something back to the forum

All the best

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Hello from Kent , Uk

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Gary,

Welcome the forum and there is a lot of content here to get you started with Scope diagnosis.

We have put together a list where we try to put all the relevant useful information which can be found here - Links to useful information

You can download the software and have a play with the settings in Demo mode but also open any files to see how things look within the software. You will also have access to the guided tests within the automotive menu which will help get you started with a known good capture and some additional information. Download PicoScope 6 Automotive

I appreciate that costs are important and whilst the budget you have specified are a bit off the current models price range, you may be able to pick up an early PicoScope. Whilst some of the features and voltage inputs will be different you will still have the automotive protection and access to all the automotive features within the software. Not only this but the earlier scopes are better now then they were when originally released, due to the continued improvements within the software.

I hope this helps and if you need any further assistance just shout.

Kind regards

Ben