Automotive Ethernet

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
matt07181986
OneWave
OneWave

Automotive Ethernet

Post by matt07181986 »

I do mobile diag and we see a ton of network issues, it seems like more than 1/3 of our calls are network related. With Ethernet on cars now it is only a matter of time before we start seeing ground issues, voltage leakage in connectors, and so on causing issues. I know the average shop would not have the need to scope the bus, but we get the abnormal weird ones.

I know the automotive scopes are not nearly fast enough to test them, but does anyone know what Pico Technology scope might handle these networks, or what specs I would be needing? From what I have gathered a scope with 500 Mhz bandwidth and a few GS/s may be needed. Anyone know a better number here? Either way, not going to be a cheap purchase :(

Also, what might the recommended computer specs be for such a scope? I currently run an 8th gen I7 15 watt with 16 GB of ram, would that be enough?

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Automotive Ethernet

Post by Martyn »

From the latest news page of our Test and Measurement website
100BASE-T1/BroadR-Reach is destined to become the physical layer standard for high-performance automotive applications. It uses PAM3 signaling on a differential twisted pair, which can be impossible to monitor without affecting the signal. Pico is about to introduce the industry’s first non-intrusive full duplex automotive Ethernet decoder, .....
I suggest that you email support@picotech.com to discuss this in more detail.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager