Greetings from Spain

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
freelander

Greetings from Spain

Post by freelander »

Hi im a DIY mech,always fixing motorbikes and cars from friends and co-workers, its a hobby i really enjoy this stuff haha.

Ultimately tampering with electronic modules, cluster swapping, modules adaptation from car to car etc.

Now what i would like to learn would be to be able to test if an engine ECU is actually sending injection signal to all its injectors, on the bench without the car, with 4 spare injectors and by simulating the crankshaft signal with picoscope (either Inductive or Hall efect).
If i could learn this, it would be awesome for me.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Greetings from Spain

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are busy looking after friends and co-workers and the fact that you enjoy the diagnosis means it will never feel like work.

Enjoy the forum and please feel free to ask or contribute when you can

Take care......Steve

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Greetings from Spain

Post by Iver »

Freelander
Now what i would like to learn would be to be able to test if an engine ECU is actually sending injection signal to all its injectors, on the bench without the car, with 4 spare injectors and by simulating the crankshaft signal with picoscope (either Inductive or Hall efect).
If i could learn this, it would be awesome for me.
That is somewhat ambitious !!!

Although some Pico products will generate / simulate a signal that will not be enough dependant on the ECU you want to test.

Hundreds of things need to happen at the correct time in the correct order before an injector is fired. For example: Immobiliser unlock, FRP, CMP/CKP Synchronisation, ECT to determine Duration, Plausible MAF signal on some systems.... ..... . .....

What you need is a dedicated ECU test bench and that will have limitations. Do some research with the best of ECU repair / test companies and they will tell you that they cannot FULLY test some ECU's.

For example the Later BMW's where the Ignition Coil MOSFET pops and leads to a misfire. They can open it up, identify the blown Mosfet BUT cannot test it.

Sitting next to the car I can replace that component, fit it to the car and FULLY test it.

The Pico plays a vital part in identifying the fault and then confirming the fix - Before & After if you will. I dont believe it will function as a Singing and Dancing ECU test bed.

I note that the new 8 Channel Automotive scope doubles up as a Signal Generator.

Signal generation is great to mimic a sensor or feedback circuit - it will confirm wiring, connectors and ECU reaction in the data streams.

As for getting Injectors to fire with a crank signal, that I believe is pie in the sky with modern ECU's. The Crank Sensor is no longer "The Godfather" It plays a small part in telling it when to fire and for how long. Lots of other inputs are there to play a bigger part.

Good luck