Raster Parade, etc,..

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Raster Parade, etc,..

Post by hexibot43 »

Just had a double loss of two scopes at the shop. We had an old Sun 900, and I had a Vision Premiere digital scope. Lost hard drive on the digital one, and my wave pattern is no good on the Sun. I am left with my Pico 4423 scope. Good scope for a single cylinder. I want my cylinder kill funciton back! At least a raster, and parade. I am working on mostly 50s and 60s cars these days. We decided to go old school. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marcello

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Raster Parade, etc,..

Post by PicoKev »

How about the Mix Master unit?

https://www.picoauto.com/products/ignition-accessories/mixmaster-12-channel-automotive-signal-mixer

2 x 6 or 1 x 12 max cylinder inputs and not terribly expensive :D

Kev.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Hexibot43,

Thank you for your post regarding ignition and it's great to see guys are still keeping these classics alive.

As PicoKev has mentioned we do have the MixMaster which will allow you to connect to a V12 using just two channels of your scope. Whilst not in Raster it will give you the ignition waveforms in Parade using a trigger from cylinder 1 and the king lead to acquire all ignition patterns. As long as you know the firing order then picking out the cylinders shouldn't be a problem.

We have included this as a guided test in the most recent update to the PicoScope 6 Auto software which you can download here - www.picoauto.com/downloads. To find the test navigate to the Automotive Menu and select, Ignition > Distributor > Secondary Distributor King Lead (Parade).

I hope this helps and if you need any further assistance then do get in touch.

Kind regards

Ben

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

ben.martins wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:19 pm

As PicoKev has mentioned we do have the MixMaster which will allow you to connect to a V12 using just two channels of your scope. Whilst not in Raster it will give you the ignition waveforms in Parade using a trigger from cylinder 1 and the king lead to acquire all ignition patterns.
Ben,

No Mixmaster needed for that. Just two scope channels.

While the Mixmaster is useful on waste spark systems, it is not needed and we would not recommend using it on any distributor system.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello,

Thank you and re-reading my original post I've realised I failed to mention that was what I was alluding too! The new guided test is done in exactly this way using just the king lead and cylinder 1 as a trigger. I can only apologise for not making myself clearer.

I won't edit the original post as that may just add to the confusion! Sorry once again all and thanks Autonerdz for picking up on it.

Kind regards

Ben

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

No problem, Ben.

As the original Pico automotive vendor, we have some history. Here is some on the Mixmaster.

The Mixmaster was inspired by one of our members who came up with a technique for looking at the entire secondary ignition for all cylinders on a waste spark system using tandem Ferret 953 units. We called this 'The Adario method' after him. The Pico team thought that was pretty cool and the Mixmaster was born to accomplish the same thing in one unit.

hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by hexibot43 »

Not sure why I wasn't getting notifications for this thread.

Thanks all for your input. I had totally forgotten my MixMaster. I own one! I use to use it with my one Ls2000. It was not that easy to use with it. But I will pull it out and try it on my Pico. Why didn't I think of that. I did end up picking up an old Sun-1400 scope for get this, $100 Amercian! The guy who'd been my repair guy for my Sun 400 (not 900) moved completely to the other side of the US. But he returned my call. Helped me get a signal on my scope. But, and a big but, I lost the rpm gauge and cylinder kill function. Signal was being lost on that board, so I bypassed it to get a signal back on the scope. I love that scope. But he recommend I start looking for a replacement, and said the Sun 1400 was the best they ever made. Checked Craigslist. Didn't quite believe the ad. Sun 1400 for $100. I would have paid more than that just for all the adapters, and cabling he had. This scope reminds me of one of my Tektronix Scopes. It looks like an analog with digital overlay. I have never had a scope that reproduced an MSD multispark ignition so well. Really nice. I was able to see issues with plugs, etc, with it. I could never do that with my Sun 400. The Pattern is so much clearer. I have a new love. And everyting works!!!

I am going to pull my mixmaster out, and give it a try with the Pico. I rarely see a waste spark vehicle these days though. Happily stuck in time. I am constantly amazed by how many things can still go wrong with these old cars so much easier to diagnose. Especially with my "New to me" scope. Still love my pico scope and wouldn't give it up for anything. Seen so many things I would never had figured out without it. Putting a picture to the problem is just an amazing thing.

Thanks Everyone.

hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by hexibot43 »

Had to add a little more. With the raster display you can so quickly pick up on timing event issues. Like a slack timing chain albeit a mechanical issue. And so quickly. The parade pattern can't give you this. With just a very quick hook up the amount of knowledge that can be viewed is priceless. Been doing a lot of weekend Carburetor, and distributor set ups. We need a quick way to see if everything is good before we get started. I am going to try using some of the Pico tests in my pre-inspections Relative compression would be a good one.

What other tests would people suggest? Trying to verify with have a healthy motor before we ever start tuning.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Sorry for gate crashing the thread. I too have the Mixmaster recently purchased from Pico here. I've spoken to a gentleman on here who started the thread and did advise me that on his forum they have a video that shows how to use and setup the Mixmaster, however my email address is not acceptable on that forum so could not register. If you read this Tom any chance of a link or if anyone else can share experiences with using and setting it up please that would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

my email address is not acceptable on that forum so could not register.
You can now. We had all mail.com emails banned because that is a spammer domain. It is no longer banned so you should be able to register now.