What could be wrong?

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

What could be wrong?

Post by Technician »

I've been working on a Fiesta with a smart charge issue. I have tried using the scope and recording data but every time I try and stop the scope it will not respond. I downloaded the latest software and tried again today and exactly the same response, the scope locks up and will not let me stop the trace running. No matter what I try the scope freezes and will not release, hence each time I do a warm up test I can't save it. I don't know what is wrong the scope never did this with earlier software releases, please advise.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: What could be wrong?

Post by PicoKev »

How are you trying to stop the scope?

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

All I'm doing is opening pico 6 software, setting the voltage levels and the time base and then depressing the capture button. The scope traces progressively move across the screen and when they approach the right hand side I'm then depressing the stop capture button, at this point the scope traces continue to move across the screen. Only when the second screen appears will the scope trace stop. It has done this every time. It's no use moving to the next screen as all the data from the first screen has been lost at that point.

I think I might of found the area of concern. Because I'm testing a coolant sensor circuit and set the time base to 50 sec/div, this is when the scope will not respond until the next screen has entered. If I set the time to say 5 ms/div the scope seems to work OK again but this time is not right for coolant temp evaluation.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

What software version and what sample rate?
Start a trace as you are trying to work the scope and try stopping the trace after say 1 minute and then post the .psdata file here.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Not being able to duplicate your concern here, I would monitor to see if your PC is running out of resources and becoming unresponsive.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

When you say running out of resources, what do you mean?

memory, storage space etc!!

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

PicoKev wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:26 pm
What software version and what sample rate?
Start a trace as you are trying to work the scope and try stopping the trace after say 1 minute and then post the .psdata file here.
https://www.picoauto.com/downloads (this one)

sample rate 50 sec/div

The rest will be Saturday now before I get back to it, but will do it and post up.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Technician wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:51 pm
When you say running out of resources, what do you mean?

memory, storage space etc!!
Yes. Processor getting pegged, RAM running out, etc.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

It is a new build and just had a conversation about it tonight. I've got a computer guy looking at it Saturday for me. I'm thinking it is the Windows 10 updates that might be causing it. I looked on the C drive and had 4.95 G of free space, so I was thinking that was OK!

My pc is only used for Pico and all the psdata files are stored on the D drive.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Windows did an update yesterday. Today I got the computer chap in to have a look and he has removed all duplicate files from the C drive and cleaned everything up. I have now about 8 GB of free space on the C drive. He has not said he has found any problems with the PC.

When I operate the PicoScope with a setting of 5 ms/div on a 5 V scale the scope will run and stop ok, this is with a 1 MS sample rate. If I set the scope to 50s/div and 700 ks using a 5 V scale the scope runs OK and produces data across the graticule screen, however, for whatever reason the scope will lock out, not one menu button can be depressed and used, the scope will not stop running and I can't even turn off the scope while the first screen is recording. Once the first screen has finished the scope free's up and all menus can then be activated again.

In my Smart Charging thread in the section help me fix my car, the scope files psdata I've uploaded there are working ok and I did not notice anything wrong with the operation of the scope at all. It seems to only happen on the above settings, and I don't process to understand what is going wrong!