Alpine iLX-107 head unit draining my car battery in only a few days

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
ponyXpress

Alpine iLX-107 head unit draining my car battery in only a few days

Post by ponyXpress »

I have a drain issue that is proving to be difficult to track down. My car is a 2008 Mustang GT and it came with the Shaker 500 audio system. Because I wanted wireless car play, I had the local audio shop install a new Alpine iLX-107. My car also has factory XM radio module.

After the new head unit, I have a random battery drain issue where a fully charged and new battery will be dead, below 10 volts in less than 3 days. Sometimes it takes two weeks, and I cannot figure out why or what is causing this. I did a battery drain test with my multi meter for over one hour, and it didn't show anything major. Something is turning on and it's drawing enough amps to kill my battery.

I'm looking for something simple like a data logger to connect to my car that monitors the draw and records how much and when it is happening. I do not need to drive the car during the test, as this issue happens while it is sitting in my garage.

I have already tried pulling fuses, including the head unit. Because the issue is random, I'm not having any luck.

Can anyone please recommend a simple solution?

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Alpine iLX-107 head unit draining my car battery in only a few days

Post by Iver »

After the new head unit, I have a random battery drain issue where a fully charged and new battery will be dead, below 10 volts in less than 3 days. Sometimes it takes two weeks, and I cannot figure out why or what is causing this. I did a battery drain test with my multi meter for over one hour,
For a battery drain that takes between 3 days and 2 weeks it will not be enough to monitor it for just an hour.

It takes best part of that time for that car without a drain to go into sleep mode. You really need to monitor that over 24 hours using a meter in series, an amp clamp and across a shunt resistor.

And pulling fuses is not the way. Volt drop across the fuses.