Pico Diagnostic Battery test

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Steve The Car Doctor

Pico Diagnostic Battery test

Post by Steve The Car Doctor »

Hi All
I'm fairly new to the world of PICO but loving the power of the scope.
I purchased the 4425 and 200/2000 amp clamp I also have two other lower amp clamps one snap on and one from aeswave uscope master kit.
I am still exploring / learning my way around and like the battery - starting - charging systems test my question is get the voltage on probe 1x channel 1 and amp clamp on channel 2 but do I use 200 or 2000 scale to get accurate results. I cant find any setting to specify which clamp / scale i'm using or does PICO somehow auto select
cheers
Steve

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Pico Diagnostic Battery test

Post by PicoKev »

Steve,

First of all have a think about what current draw you are expecting and then consider how useful the 200 amp setting would be.

Step 2 as always is the old faithful RTFM
:arrow:
post1.PNG
The help file states you can use either the 2000 or the 600 amp clamps, this obviously refers to the Pico products as other clamps may have different output levels.
Both the TA167 (2000 amp clamp) in 2000 amp mode and the TA019 (600 amp clamp) have a rated output of 1mV/A, as stated on the front of the clamps, so either can be used for the test as they talk the same language as far as the software is concerned.

HTH.
Kev.

Steve The Car Doctor

Post by Steve The Car Doctor »

Many thanks i now found the page you highlighted i tried again and instant success now so many more features to explore let the journey begin
steve

Kilo_SSK

Post by Kilo_SSK »

Speaking of battery tests, are there specific security steps to take? Can one do that kind of tests in a personal garage, or should it be done in a professionally equipped place with safety equipment? The thing is that I wanted to install a small garage for non-commercial purposes in a house in Greece (I've got a couple friends in the region I'm considering, and can work for them every now and then) and don't know if I can do it straight away or if I must do some work first.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Security steps:don’t short the batteries.
Otherwise 12V is safe voltage.
What you do in your private life is entirely your business. Also where.

martin349

Post by martin349 »

A complete guide on how to do a proper test of Pico battery (bit . ly/2L28J24) he covered every aspect in the video, I did my ford truck battery test i was glad to see the result was perfect, even I use that truck for 24 Hour Towing in New York and i am using that battery for around 2 years and still that's working cool.