Time trigger

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Time trigger

Post by Liteace »

Is there anyway to set a time trigger as opposed to a voltage trigger, Im trying to check cam variators but the waveform is dancing about as it triggering of anything it likes as you can see in the pic.
any clues, can it be done?
20190404-0002.gif
trigger.PNG

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Time trigger

Post by Martyn »

Pulse Width Trigger would be the way to go
Attachments
Pulse Width.PNG
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Hi Liteace,

Personally I am not a great fan of triggers, there are a few occasions when they can be useful, but generally they are more trouble than they are worth.

My preferred method is to put the pedal to the metal in the sample rate and set a long time base. Make the capture and then just zoom in to the level you need. That way you do not miss anything and you have a huge amount of data available, then if you wish you can save individual screens at the zoom level you prefer for either your own use or to upload to the WL.

HTH.

Kev.

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

Thanks for the replies, I've tried both these mentioned methods and still no luck, I cant adjust the pulse width trigger horizontally to get it to do anything, it'll adjust vertically but that's no good as that's voltage again, it's will a step by step would be good as I'm loosing the will to live with scope

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

With the lots of samples and long time base there is no trigger used so the problem is not there. :)

Why do you need a trigger?

Kev.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

PicoKev is right.

I would only add that you can do a continuous streaming capture over a long period and miss nothing by violating the operating principles of repeat trigger placing it on the far right so that it cannot trigger. As shown here:

https://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaB ... 5231719#13

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

PicoKev wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Why do you need a trigger?

Kev.
I want to see the cam timing change when I activate it with tech2, set-up is the same as checking for stretched chain but I cant stop it dancing about, can this be checked with a streaming waveform ?
Last edited by Liteace on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

Martyn wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:25 am
Pulse Width Trigger would be the way to go
I dont know how to multi quote sorry, Ive tried this and still no luck, I was expecting to see the, what do we call it, trigger bar? extend horizontally when I was playing with the settings, it didnt it only extended and retract vertically and that didnt help, any clues ?

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

I really appreciated help / input from Autonerdz amd PicoKev, thanks guy's but It didnt work as needed

Is this now a dead duck now regarding help / support from Pico team, one very short reply from Martyn on the 8th, and that's it.
I hope your not sulking because I slagged off the clips, if you are you need to grow up, that's water under bridge, move on, i'll ask nicely, please can you tell me how to set and adjust time trigger so I can get this one checked

Thanks

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Liteace,

I apologise for the delay and I am currently sending you a reply via the help desk support system to help you with your set up. Once we are happy that we have fully understood the measurement you are trying achieve we will have a solution and we can update here.

Kind regards

Ben