VAN protocol

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Gudgeon1
OneWave
OneWave

VAN protocol

Post by Gudgeon1 »

Hi there,we have at work the PicoScope 4425 can anyone tell me if this can read VAN network as used by PSA group of vehicles ?...Many Thanks

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: VAN protocol

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post.

The VAN Protocol utilities a 125 kbit/s baud rate which your Scope will capture fine.

I have very little experience with this network but after a little research you must read the following information form Graham Auld who has gone to great lengths to inform and decode this style of Network (Thank you Graham)
http://graham.auld.me.uk/projects/vanbus/index.html
Please note there is no VAN Decode tool within the PicoScope Serial decoding menu.

Depending on what you wish to capture, i.e just a VAN frame or multiple VAN frames you could use the following settings:
https://www.picoauto.com/library/automo ... s/can-l-h/

To view single VAN frames, open the CAN Guided Test under the Automotive tab and change the voltage settings for channel A and B to 10 V (They are originally 5 V)

To view multiple VAN frames (keep the channel voltages at 10 V) increase your time base to 100 ms/div and increase the number of samples to 2 MS

Please also have a look on the Waveform Library as I searched this morning for Peugeot Boxer CAN signals and found what looks to be a VAN Network signal (Thank you Chrender)

VAN Hi is pulled low from 5 V and VAN Lo is pulled high from near 0 V

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

Gudgeon1
OneWave
OneWave

Re: VAN protocol

Post by Gudgeon1 »

Cheers Steve that’s very helpful,I’ve been looking at this VAN network today with the PicoScope and as you said if you use the standard CAN set up the voltages go over range(because it’s higher than the CAN voltages which are normally 3.5V)so I reset it to 10V range to get the capture which then looks identical to the CAN image.....Many Thanks 👍🏻