Serial decoding

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Serial decoding

Post by liviu2004 »

Questions:
1. Can Pico software sort live decoding on ID rather than time? And freeze the last message until a new one comes for that ID?
2. Can Pico software introduce persistance mode but in reverse logic, such that, in combination with question 1 above, any byte change within a new message for same ID, gets colored for a few seconds?
You know that other companies do that and that is the only reason why serial decoding is needed, besides checking if CAN integrity is ok.

ashtray1987
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Serial decoding

Post by ashtray1987 »

Hi Liviu2004,

I think you need CANalyzer or CANApe for such functions, if you don't mind the swallowing the price of this software..

Cheers,
Ash

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Hi, if I would have that money, I would of not ask here.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Liviu2004,

Thank you for the questions. With regards to Question 2 I will add this to the new feature requests for sure as it could be useful to some users. We do need to mindful that the scope is not a CAN logger and as such does have some limitations as Steve mentioned in our Q&A session last night. That being said when it's all you've got then as long as you are aware of the limitations then why not?

I believe the to answer question 1 you are looking to use the filter option which is already a feature within the serial decode. This will pick out and only display the ID which matches what you have inputted into the filter field. I've not tried it but I see no reason as to why you wouldn't be able to use this whilst capturing data. Referring back to the main video Steve and Barney did on CAN decoding I have a feeling Steve does use filtering when looking at a specific ID from the shift lever.

If you need any assistance with this feature then please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

Ben

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

I can happily report that reverse engineering of canbus, using Pico, works great. Not on the same level as the dedicated tools, but hey, within minutes I found rpm, dash indicators, hazards, steering angle sensor, automatic gearbox lever position.

Filter works ok, coloring would be nice to have, would make life much easier.
Attachments
1.jpeg