LR 2.0 l GTDI Petrol random misfire

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
scandiagnosis

LR 2.0 l GTDI Petrol random misfire

Post by scandiagnosis »

Hi ,
we have replaced on the car: Discovery Sporty 2016 MY 2.0 l GTDI Petrol the variable camshaft timing Pulley for the intake and exhaust camshaft including the timing chain , tensioner including the solenoids for the intake and exhaust VCT Pullys. Cause for replacement was DTC: P0011-71 " A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 1" - Actuator Stuck", which also leaded to check engine light coming on. The failure was combined with engine noise only during the morning engine start.
So far the problem was solved and there were such trouble code anymore and the noise disappeared.

Except we received after the a test drive the following faults:
1)P0016: Correlation between camshaft and crankshaft.
2)P0300: Random Misfire.
3)P0301: Misfire on cylinder 1.
4) P0303: Misfire on cylinder 3.

The complain currently is that the engine has slight hesitation at idling especially in cold engine condition and when stopping at traffic light.

After engine warming up " 30 minutes after cold start" misfires reduces but can still be felt.
in the misfire monitoring the misfire can be seen at idling and untill 2200 rpm - above 2200 rpm NO misfiring is noticed. Engine performance is good and acceleration is good and at high speeds no engine misfire is noticed. Compression for all cylinders is within the range 9.5 bar.

The timing chain has been adjusted but I could not identify the cause for the difference between intake and exhaust camshafts when i compared with a good vehicle. I have made the 2 Picoscope measurements and would like to have your opinion. The Measurements were done during cranking ( download files available 1 week only):

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/247b37 ... 723/4109c0

Questions:
is the timing of intake and exhaust camshaft out of tolerance compared to new vehicle?
what could be the cause for the difference and should I focus on that or check the valve timing ?

Best Regards,

speck
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: LR 2.0 l GTDI Petrol random misfire

Post by speck »

Hi,your cams are out and also crank. Have a good look again, easy to see.
kind regards

scandiagnosis

Post by scandiagnosis »

Hi Speck,

Intake camshaft to TDC 74 Degress Crankshaft Angle more advanced timing than in the good vehicle by -14 Degrees crankshaft angle.
I have attached the image i am referring to just for my understanding.

Best Regards,
Scan Diagnosis
Attachments
wave 3 - Faulty vehicle.psdata
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 478 times

speck
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by speck »

Hi, Scope 2 is the faulty one. On scope 2 move channel B a bit to get make all channel visible.
Scope 3 is the good one. The fault can be seen at first glance.
Hope that helps
Attachments
__20190322-0001.psdata
(3.98 MiB) Downloaded 487 times