Max speed for a given time

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Cassf1

Max speed for a given time

Post by Cassf1 »

Hi all,

I'm new here and to scopes in general. I'm wondering if you work out the max speed for a given time.

Example I would like to log for 4hrs using two of the four channels. A for voltage and B for current.

Does the amount of channels of type of probe/clamp make a difference?

Thanks in advance
Craig

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Max speed for a given time

Post by Martyn »

With PicoScopes and the PicoScope 6 Automotive software the defining factor for setting up the scope is time across the screen, if you set 1000s/div for the collection time you will get 2h46m , or 2000s/div for 5h33m. Then enable your channels and View->ViewProperties and the panel on the right hand side will give you the number of samples you will get.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by martinr »

Cassf1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 pm
Hi all,

I'm new here and to scopes in general. I'm wondering if you work out the max speed for a given time.

Example I would like to log for 4hrs using two of the four channels. A for voltage and B for current.

Does the amount of channels of type of probe/clamp make a difference?

Thanks in advance
Craig
Hi Craig

Can you expand a bit? Max speed of what, and which voltage source and current load ard you planning to record?

Cassf1

Post by Cassf1 »

Hi,

What I would like to do is use the scope to log current and voltage over 4hrs.

The purpose of this is better size the batteries used for the equipment being measured. There are several pieces of equipment running from 4 lithium batteries at the minute not all of the equipment has datasheets detailing power consumption. I would like to find the total power used in order to downsize the battery physical size however the best I can find suitable for the application to make a smaller footprint are 2x 180ah instead of the 4x 100ah.

I was planning on logging current and voltage while running the equipment for the 4hour tests it's used for. The power consumption will vary during usage as sometimes it's heating and sampling etc.

So I thought the best way to go about this was to log during the full cycle it is used for and export to Excel add up the column for power used.

So I was thinking the fastest sample rate the more accurate this method would be.