multiply channels by using more scopes

Ask any questions about using PicoScope Automotive software here.
MerteAN

multiply channels by using more scopes

Post by MerteAN » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to attach 2 or more Pico 4425 scopes so i can cover 8+ channels?
And how to setup in picoscope 6?

Just asking.

Best regards,
Merte

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: multiply channels by using more scopes

Post by ben.martins » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Hello Merte,

This is something we get asked a lot and sadly the answer is a no.

However, there is a way we can capture more than 4 signals all at the same time but it involves opening two instances of PicoScope. If we were to use a trigger signal for both scopes for example Ignition on cylinder 1, then we can sync the two together and we could add 4 cam signal and a crank signal. I know it isn't perfect but this will give you the option of 7 channels. To give you all the channels on one screen then you have the option of importing them as reference waveforms which will be in the right time as they all had the same trigger.

As I said not ideal but this method has been used by other users. The question keeps coming up and I can assure you is on the 'wish list' of new features. Keep the ideas coming though, we like to have new ideas from the people using PicoScope in the real world.

Kind regards

Ben

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: multiply channels by using more scopes

Post by Autonerdz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Some of our users do this. This was the subject of our September 2018 Group Therapy webinar.

This is tricky as you might trigger off two different engine cycles if you don't start them at exactly the same instant.

That being said, at no point would the two scopes be truly in sync no matter what. It's better if you have two of the same model though. It also makes a difference if you are in block or streaming mode.