Greasemonkey from India

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.

Greasemonkey from India

Post by 007 »

Hello from Bangalore. I run a workshop here called Blackworks Engineering where I tinker with cars and attempt to make them go faster.

So far, I've been using a Hantek DSO 3064 (which turned out to be a clone), and the experience has been extremely mediocre. Have been lusting after a Picoscope for ages and now I'm finally ready to take the plunge.

I'm a sucker for lots of channels, and so my gaze is fixed firmly on the 4824.

Before I pull the trigger on it, I wanted to know whether I can build an automotive kit around the 4824. I notice that it isn't included in any of the preassembled automotive kits, and was wondering if there was a reason that made it unsuitable for automotive applications or the included 4 channel scope especially suited for the same.

Also, will I be able to use Pico's automotive diagnostic software with the 4824?

Looking forward to lots of helpful advice. Thanks in advance.

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Greasemonkey from India

Post by PicoKev »

Hello Greasemonkey,

I know where you are coming from in the hunger for more channels but you need to bear in mind a few points.

1 – The 4824 max input voltage is +/- 50 Volts so you will need to use an attenuator for an injector for instance. The automotive version allows +/- 200 Volts so attenuators are rarely needed.

2 – The 4824 is a test and measurement scope so it WILL NOT run any of the automotive specific software (Pico Diagnostics NVH etc.)

3 – The test and measurement scopes do not allow access to the Pico waveform library.

4 – The automotive models have ConnectDetect® as far as I am aware T & M scopes do not.

5 – The 4425 automotive scopes have a much more robust internal protection system than the T & M scopes.

6 – The 4425 has floating inputs with the maximum allowable voltage difference between any two channel grounds being 30V.

7 – The T & M scopes cannot display an automotive scope waveform and vica versa.

Obviously with care the voltage / robustness issues are workable with. The loss of the waveform library may or may not be an issue for you. It is always horses for courses it depends on exactly what you intend to use the scope for. All the inductive clamps and pressure transducers will work with any scope and they only output a voltage that the scope turns into “Squiggly Lines”

You need to download the exact specs of both scopes and make your own decision but most people appreciate the “extras” that come with the automotive platform. There are many differences and pro’s and con’s for both just do you research carefully before you decide.

Regards,
Kev.

Re: Greasemonkey from India

Post by 007 »

Thank you Kevin. Shortly after I posted, I came across another post here that was discussing precisely the same thing. 4425 it is then. Thank you!