Measuring resistance

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
Marciooliveira
OneWave
OneWave

Measuring resistance

Post by Marciooliveira »

Hi everyone, I was seeing in software that already has a resistance test option how would the procedure be?

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Measuring resistance

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Marciooliveira,

Yes within the battery test we can see from the results we have calculated for resistance. This is simply done using Ohms law as we have measured the battery voltage and current draw using the x1 test lead and the 2000A current clamp.

If you need any further information regarding the battery test results please see this link the forum post - post77701.html#p77701.

Alternatively we can do the same thing within the PicoScope 6 Auto software using math channels. This can be useful if we can fix either voltage, current or resistance as a known value for example - using a 0.1Ohm resistor across the battery, then by recording the voltage across the resistor we can calculate the current as seen in this topic - post96371.html#p96541.

I hope this helps but if you need further assistance please get in touch.

Kind regards

Ben

Marciooliveira
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Marciooliveira »

Good morning ben martins, I was referring to the oscilloscope probes settings, when the device blinded me I installed the software of the cd, then in this same option of the photo I selected resistance and it appeared on the screen in Mohms, now that I updated to the last one version appears in place of Mohms, appears Nm what would be problem in the software
Attachments
IMG_20190114_230752.jpg
IMG_20190104_150532.jpg
IMG_20190104_150505.jpg

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Marciooliveira,

Please accept my apologies for not getting back to you sooner on this and thank you for clarifying your post.

From my understanding this probe was a creation for the Test and Measurement side of the business to work with the PT-104 logger. This does mean that the probe setting isn't compatible with our automotive scopes. Where the company is split between Test and Measurement and Automotive there is inevitable some cross over and this is what we are seeing here.

We have raised the issue with the software team and we will look to remove the Unknown probes from the list to prevent any future confusion.

If you wanted to calculate resistance the best way I can recommend is to use current and voltage. Applying a math channel we can create a formula based on Ohms Law - Voltage / Current = Resistance. This way we can keep the circuit intact and minimise intrusion.

If you need help creating or just math channels in general we have an ongoing topic here on the forum where we use math to reveal further information and detail. topic21311.html#p96371

Kind regards

Ben