Hi from Kent

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Sharpy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Hi from Kent

Post by Sharpy »

Hello I run a Hgv repair wshop where fault diagnostics is a key part of my business, I am finding more and more that having multiple diagnostic scan tools still doesn’t cut it when trying to pin point a fault and I find myself turning to the scope but currently I’m using a 2 channel scope on my modis ultra and I’m finding it very limited.
My first purchase of the new year will be the 4425 but I’m still undecided on which kit to go for between a starter and add on the things I want like clamps and then add the extras as I need them or go for the std kit which has some bits I’d seldom use I.e the ignition pick ups as I rarely do much with petrol but has many of the things I would add to the starter. Oh what to do.
Anyway I have enjoyed reading people’s problems and solutions using the Pico and feel that I have already learned a lot from the posts so thank you and hopefully I maybe able to contribute in the future.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Hi from Kent

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Sharpy,

Welcome to the group and I can see from another post you will soon be the proud owner of an advanced kit.

I can see why the ignition items may be a little unnecessary for the the type of work you will be seeing but if we take the Coil On Plug probe for instance, this can also be used for other things as a quick look tool. It can pick up fast switching solenoids so may help identify if an inlet metering device is no longer switching or a solenoid injector just by placing the paddle on the plug of the actuator.

Rest assured though there is an overwhelming amount of talent on the forum where we all try to help each other so please don't be afraid to ask questions!

I've replied to your latest post with a link to useful info which will help get you started.

Kind regards

Ben

Sharpy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Sharpy »

Hi Ben

Sorry for the late reply I only just found your response... still finding my way around lol.
I did think it was worth the extra for the ignition bits and bobs just in case not to mention the extra amp clamp, I will keep that in mind about the cop probe as that sounds like it could be useful, I also notice from the case studies and waveform library that you do a bit around the trucks which is nice to know as I may need to bend your ear once I get my head around the Pico :D .
I hope when I have figured it all out and get some spare time to be able top up the library with some good waveforms as I noticed the truck side is on the light side and they would always be handy for future reference.
Thanks for the welcome

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Sharpy,

We're all in this together so if we can help each other out then it's going to make things easier for us in the long run.

One of my first jobs was working in an independent garage where we looked at anything and everything! From lawnmowers, cars, outboards, diggers, trucks and combines there wasn't much that got turned away! My truck knowledge isn't as up to speed as I'd like it to be but I am more than happy to help where I can. I'm very conscious that there isn't many captures in for commercial vehicles and as more HD technicians get involved with Pico I'm hoping this will change. Using the Save and Share option when you are saving your captures will upload them to the waveform library which not only means they are there for others but also to create your own cloud based waveform library.

Good luck with your captures and look forward to seeing them in the library!

Kind regards

Ben