Hello from PA in the U.S.

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Robtl

Hello from PA in the U.S.

Post by Robtl »

Hello All,
My name is Bob Miller; I am a contract trainer from the States. I have roughly 45 years experience in the industry, have been teaching vehicle repair for 35 years, and have been using a Picoscope for three years. I now have two Picoscopes, my first was a 2205a and my new addition is a nice new 4425 automotive scope.
I typically weave the Picoscope into every class that I possibly can, and my most recent class pertained to the Cummins Diesel engine, which is used in trucks in the States. One "hiccup" in the class was that we could not provide a cylinder sync signal in order to identify the cylinders in the firing order in the waveform.
A friend informed me that Pico is delivering a webinar on this precise topic on 16 January. However, in searching the Pico website, I cannot find anywhere to register for that webinar. Where do I register? Help and THANKS!
Regards to all,
Bob (Robtl)

Robtl

Re: Hello from PA in the U.S.

Post by Robtl »

Hello Pico people,
Can one of you please direct me to where I would log in for the webinar I expressed interest in?
Thank you.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Bob and welcome to the forum, sorry for the late reply.

The details for our first PicoScope Webinar are available from our recent newsletter but I have copied the details here for you:

The GoToMeeting connection details are as follows:

Practical Pico: Cylinder identification and relative compression on CRD engines
Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:00 - 14:00 GMT

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone (you may need to install an app or browser plugin for GoToMeeting to run.):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/311511813

You can also dial in using your phone.
United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088
Access Code: 311-511-813

First GoToMeeting? Do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

There will also be an opportunity to view the video after creation at a sensible time to suit you.

I must add Bob having spoken to my colleague Ben, this seminar will focus on typical common rail diesel engines where we can access the injector signal for cylinder 1. With a number of HGV engines, access to the injector may not be possible based on their construction and location within the cylinder head/heads.

There may be an opportunity to use an accelerometer with these engines but this is not without challenge.

Rest assured Bob, if we do not tackle what would be required in your application we will be more than happy to research and find a process that will help ID your cylinder during relative compression testing.(Please feedback when you can)

I hope this helps and thank you again for your patience

Take care......Steve

Robtl

Post by Robtl »

Steve,
Thank you for your response!
If my calculation is correct, 1200 -1400 GMT is 0700 - 0900 EST, so I should be able to participate.
The engine is a Cummins Diesel 'ISB' 6.7L 6 cylinder, that is used by Dodge (and in later years) Ram, in their HD pickup trucks.
The engine uses solenoid actuated fuel injectors and a Bosch Common Rail fuel injection system. The wiring for the fuel injectors passes through the valve cover gasket. Perhaps it would be possible to use a T Pin to access the number one injector at that point (see attached photo).
I look forward to the Webinar, Steve! Thanks again!
Attachments
6.7 L Cummins Injector Wiring Repair Kit.jpg