Access to waveform library

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Rbakfan

Access to waveform library

Post by Rbakfan »

I’ve been an auto technician for about 35 years. I have several handheld scopes (versus, vantage ,verdict, otc, etc.). I’m pretty proficient with scopes. I’ve wanted to try a Pico for a while now, but it’s hard to justify buying one when I already have so many. Anyway I was browsing amazon today and saw a 2204a for about a hundred dollars. I was looking at the specs. I decided to compare it to my verus. When I looked up the specs on the verus... wow.. only 6ms/s. I thought that can’t be right! I’ve never looked it up before, so I was shocked at how low the sample rate is. Anyway I decided to give one a try and see if maybe I might want to purchase a 4 channel with more power later on. And hopefully familiarize myself with the software. My question is this. Will the purchase of this scope give me access to the Pico waveform library? I was kind of hoping it would.

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Access to waveform library

Post by Martyn »

A quick answer as it is the weekend and I didn't want you to jump in and buy the device without info.

The 2205a will not give you access to the waveform library, it will not work with the Automotive software and the presets, it will not work with the diagnostic software.

You can use it on a car, with caution, using the PicoScope T&M software, but you won't get the same results as you would with a full automotive scope.

Please email support@picotech.com for further info.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

If you would like to understand more about how the Pico automotive scopes compare to the Snap-On Verus, etc here is a rather long thread with a lot of good info:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB ... 1265231719

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Martyn wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:02 am

The 2205a will not give you access to the waveform library
Hello,
Also using a 4425 I can't find my uploaded Peugeot/RCZ/5FV waveform in database :shock:
and I can't sent the remove request for a double upload.
Thank you

Rbakfan

Post by Rbakfan »

Martyn wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:02 am
A quick answer as it is the weekend and I didn't want you to jump in and buy the device without info.

The 2205a will not give you access to the waveform library, it will not work with the Automotive software and the presets, it will not work with the diagnostic software.

You can use it on a car, with caution, using the PicoScope T&M software, but you won't get the same results as you would with a full automotive scope.

Please email support@picotech.com for further info.
Thanks. I canceled my order.

MrOrange

Post by MrOrange »

Rbakfan wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 pm
I’ve been an auto technician for about 35 years. I have several handheld scopes (versus, vantage ,verdict, otc, etc.). I’m pretty proficient with scopes. I’ve wanted to try a Pico for a while now, but it’s hard to justify buying one when I already have so many. Anyway I was browsing amazon today and saw a 2204a for about a hundred dollars. I was looking at the specs. I decided to compare it to my verus. When I looked up the specs on the verus... wow.. only 6ms/s. I thought that can’t be right! I’ve never looked it up before, so I was shocked at how low the sample rate is. Anyway I decided to give one a try and see if maybe I might want to purchase a 4 channel with more power later on. And hopefully familiarize myself with the software. My question is this. Will the purchase of this scope give me access to the Pico waveform library? I was kind of hoping it would.
I bought the 2204a, I know its not the best for automotive, But it does give you a good practice for setting up scopes etc,
However you can use it to check injectors, Also comes with a AWG output for testing ABS signal so you know ECU is recieving the signal or not,

Guy on youtube who does lots with it, and a facebook page for it ;)