2008 VW Crafter BJL fuel cut???

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

2008 VW Crafter BJL fuel cut???

Post by Doig5710 »

Have had this van given to me after another garage has just had the engine done up after it got very worn out from running poorly and ignorred, after the rebuild of the enige it has developed what feels like a miss fire but when scoped looks to be the ECU cutting injection then reintroducing it after 1 engine cycle. will list what has been done so far and what i have found and replaced.
Engine fully rebuilt, pistons, rings, bearings, head work etc
Removed the DPF, EGR delete tune back to factory
Brand new set of injectors fitted
New MAF
New MAP boost sensor
New fuel pressure senosr
This was all done by the previous garage who is quite a well known and very well setup VW specilast with Autologic help and other contacts at the dealership
New vaccum pump- very low vacuum causing low boost build up
New Boost solenoid- Low boost code
I have since fitted another SH complete fuel rail
A second hand ECU- seemed to help
Latest software by Autologic- seems to be a bit worse again.
Attachments
2008 Crafter Purple and black injector wires cyl 5 first to cut.psdata
Injector 5 which only does half a injection cycle then cuts out, i overlayed a crank frequency math channel to see what other cylinders were doing, also have scoped all other cylinders
(12.08 MiB) Downloaded 580 times

Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Re: 2008 VW Crafter BJL fuel cut???

Post by Doig5710 »

Also forgot to add, have scoped the EGR and throttle body and neither are opening or shutting or moving much at all when this is happening, the next wave form is of the MAP and fuel pressure sensors and a injector current
Any ideas or help would be great, also a bit hard for me to upload to facebook as im not on facebook at all.
Attachments
2008 Crafter map sensor and fuel pressure sensor upload version.psdata
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 616 times

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Did you scan the ECU for possible diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) !.

Seen at your psdata file there should be a potential DTC for high fuel rail pressure. A voltage reading at 3.679 DC at 1847 RPM is very high value and my best guess regarding the corresponding rail pressure are above the maximum 1600 bar that this system is able to produce.

Do you know if there are done a relearn process of the fuel rail pressure sensor when they did replaced it !.
VW CRAFTER TDI 2008 HIGH FUEL RAIL PRESSURE
VW CRAFTER TDI 2008 HIGH FUEL RAIL PRESSURE
Is the engine missing power and if it does, it could possible be in LIMP mode and this is why your EGR and throttlebody and not function correctly !.
Doig5710 wrote:Removed the DPF, EGR delete tune back to factory
Is the engine running without the DPF !!!

I hope this give you some inspiration to carry on with this trouble car.

Regards
Kim

Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Doig5710 »

Yes the DPF has been removed, the EGR hadbeen blanked off as well but the blanking plate removed and factory tune put back in to see if it would cure it after the engine was done up.
It feels like a miss on 1-2 cylinders when driving, between roughly 1500-2800 rpm worse with more load on but can even still be there at a cruise load if its at the right speed.
If you change down a gear or getthe revs up a bit its fine, has plenty of power and no problems at all so almost possible to drive around this problem as its fairly predictable.
No codes at all now that it boosts properly with new vaccuum pump and boost solenoid thats whats sort of making it a tricky one, have done a full readaption with autologic as well.

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

Could you scope cam and crank correlation together and upload please

Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Doig5710 »

Heres one of the crank signal, cam signal, pressure control solenoid on the fuel and and the suction control valve on the fuel pump.
i can see the injection is stopping straight after/ as the final bit of the cam pulse passes through, would this be a cambelt stretching type issue? if it is i thought all these things were very quick to throw cam/crank correlation type codes but this has none of that.
Attachments
2008 Crafter crank, cam, rail pressure control valve and pump control solenoid, idle.psdata
At idle
(6.95 MiB) Downloaded 616 times
2008 Crafter crank, cam, rail pressure control valve and pump control solenoid, driving.psdata
While driving
(17.56 MiB) Downloaded 556 times

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

There is some slack in the belt but probably not enough to cause an issue. The fact that the ECU is turning off injectors exactly after a camshaft pulse almost definitely means it is an intentional shutdown due to it being "unhappy" with an input. I would like to compare crank and cam with a known good but i am unable to at moment as I do not have access to my scope or waveform library. I believe the cam shaft sensor signal is being picked up from the high pressure pump pulley is this correct? I would personally focus all my efforts in the cam belt area making sure all cam, crank and pump marks are lined up correctly and that the pulleys on all of these are seated on there shafts correctly. ESPECIALLY as all of this has been apart recently and now we have an issue

It may be necessary to remove pulleys and make sure they are sitting on there key ways correctly. One of the main reasons for a camshaft signal is to fire the injectors at the right time. The injectors are being turned off intentionally in my opinion. We just need to figure out why

Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Doig5710 »

So no good news at this stage, it went back to the garage that did the original work, they pulled it apart and got the turbo checked out as they really like checking things, all ok. Pulled the covers off and thought he'd found something as the timing was half a tooth off, apparently you can get 13 or 15 tooth water pumps for these engines so that got replaced and also a new genuine belt fitted. All pulleys, keyways and bolts all mint like brand new and no play at all.
Also its now got the original engine ECU and DPF and EGR delete tune back in it again.
I can get the van back for more scopping if i come up with anymore ideas.
Attachments
imagejpeg_0.jpg

landroverman1958
OneWave
OneWave

Post by landroverman1958 »

Hi just a thought,is it possible for a injector current ramp pattern to be taken while the vehicle is being driven,as i have managed to take one on a transporter which had a misfire under load causing the engine to cut out,when the fault occured the injector pattern was lost only to come back on the screen not immedeately but some few seconds later,the fix was to replace the brittle injector harness inside the head,this was on a 5 cylinder engine,
I might be able to find the pattern some where,

Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Doig5710 »

Sounds like yours was a pd style engine? This is a common rail one with bosch injectors, at the moment it has been at the dealership for 1 week now and all they have said is maybe its the tone wheel on the back of the crankshaft, even though the original mechanic has replaced it and it scopes out beautifully with no funny bits in it, so waiting to here another update, probably be in another weeks time.