bmw battery draw

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
neecc

bmw battery draw

Post by neecc »

hello. I have 2003 bmw x5 with a parasitic draw that drains the battery overnight. I have checked all the common issues with this car that would be causing the battery to drain. I even have all the fuses out, yes, all of them! and it still has a draw on the battery. what am I missing?

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: bmw battery draw

Post by liviu2004 »

You’re missing a thermal camera or a hot alternator.

kona
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by kona »

What is the value of the discharge current ?

Disconnect the IBS connector
Disconnect the Alternator connector
Last edited by kona on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
For X5 empty battery I will disconnect radio unit +amplifier (sometimes stop lamp isolations isn't good and this units sit in the water),also I will check/disconnect climatronic and the power unit for blower.
Also I will check if the doors switches operate open/close with a diag tool.

neecc

Post by neecc »

I was thinking alternator too, ill disconnect that and get back to you. thanks guys.

neecc

Post by neecc »

so the alternator is buried in this thing so I pulled the cable from the firewall where it comes up from the alternator, no change, still pulling 12 volts!

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Pulling 12V? Are you talking amps?

neecc

Post by neecc »

ok, so I had the wrong test meter on there, now that I have correct multimeter on the 10 amp setting im getting a zero reading, even while the car is awake, door open, key on nothing changes it from the zero reading. ive had many people involved, watched every video on you tube, everything I know tells me I should have a reading on my meter.

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

I guess you connected in parallel and blew tester fuse. If you are connected in series then it's impossible to get no reading

You would benefit from basic electical skills training. Like many others here in forum. Watching youtube is not the same as learning in class.

neecc

Post by neecc »

someone else was trying to figure it out before I got in this morning so that's probably the case. thanks. I have basic skills btw, this isn't my first rodeo but im certainly not a bmw tech so this is kind of baffling with all the different systems this thing has.