bmw battery draw

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: bmw battery draw

Post by liviu2004 »

These standard meters have an 10A fuse and that in series with battery on a bmw? That meter fuse is fried in few ms, and are also expensive. Time for a dc clamp meter!

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

neecc wrote:someone else was trying to figure it out before I got in this morning so that's probably the case. thanks. I have basic skills btw, this isn't my first rodeo but im certainly not a bmw tech so this is kind of baffling with all the different systems this thing has.

It doesn't matter if it's BMW or some simple old car. Basic technique remains the same. If you talk about "pulling 12 volts" and "zero reading in amps" then there is something in wrong in the way you measure.

Do you even know how big is your current draw when car is sleeping?

neecc

Post by neecc »

fuse was blown in the multi meter. im back on the right track now. that is if I can keep other guys hands out of the mix!

neecc

Post by neecc »

so now that I have everything correct, with the multi meter in line with the negative battery cable and the car asleep im getting a .4 amp draw. I checked all the fuses with multimeter and none of them are showing any voltage use...