Toyota Auris 1,4 d

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
grunf1976
OneWave
OneWave

Toyota Auris 1,4 d

Post by grunf1976 »

Hello all,

I'm in need of some help with this car. It is an 2008 Auris 1.4 d with no start condition. It is a friends car which has been to 6 or 7 shops that work on Toyota and no one has managed to fix it so far. Since I work on VW I\m not familiar with them but it has Bosch injection so as a favor to him I decided to take a look. He was driving the car normally and after parking it for a couple of hours car wouldnt start.
It has no fault codes. Took a look at PID's for RPM and fuel pressure. RPM is ok and car cranks fine. Fuel pressure builds up fast and it goes to 30mpa which should be 300 bar. Still no start. Checked for compression all cylinders same around 19-20 bars. next i took the scope and checked for cam and crank signals. Both present and without interference. Checked fuel pressure sensor and it matches data from the scaner. As I crank the engine it goes to 1.4 V and still nothing. IMV and FPR operating normally.
Now I went further and checked output to injectors.It was around 50 Volts and they were pulling around 19 Amp's.
As this didnt make any sense and the car should run I decided to use brake cleaner to try to start it. And it did. In an instant. Ok, so it is fuel. Than I took one injector out to see if it is delivering fuel and it is not. This is weird . I can understand that one injector dies, but all 4 at same time? Checked powers and grounds on Ecu. All fine.
Im officially confused.
Any Ideas?

Thanks
Mickey

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Toyota Auris 1,4 d

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
Test your injectors in a diesel service(I think 50V isn't enough for the nozzle opening,EDC16 use 80-90V for opening ),try to feed your pump and injectors with a good source of diesel.
Also the compression must be 22bar or more.
Best regards

grunf1976
OneWave
OneWave

Post by grunf1976 »

Hi Viictor,
Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that I already tried with clean source of fuel. Testing injectors was my next step, but I wasn't sure about injector voltage that was why I asked. Im suspecting injector drivers. First I will check injectors than will report back.

Again thanks,
Mickey

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
What part number is on your ECU?I can take some captures next week if you need on a 2006 Corolla 1.4 diesel with EDC16...
Best regards.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

grunf1976 wrote:Hello all,

I'm in need of some help with this car. It is an 2008 Auris 1.4 d with no start condition. It is a friends car which has been to 6 or 7 shops that work on Toyota and no one has managed to fix it so far. Since I work on VW I\m not familiar with them but it has Bosch injection so as a favor to him I decided to take a look. He was driving the car normally and after parking it for a couple of hours car wouldnt start.
It has no fault codes. Took a look at PID's for RPM and fuel pressure. RPM is ok and car cranks fine. Fuel pressure builds up fast and it goes to 30mpa which should be 300 bar. Still no start. Checked for compression all cylinders same around 19-20 bars. next i took the scope and checked for cam and crank signals. Both present and without interference. Checked fuel pressure sensor and it matches data from the scaner. As I crank the engine it goes to 1.4 V and still nothing. IMV and FPR operating normally.
Now I went further and checked output to injectors.It was around 50 Volts and they were pulling around 19 Amp's.
As this didnt make any sense and the car should run I decided to use brake cleaner to try to start it. And it did. In an instant. Ok, so it is fuel. Than I took one injector out to see if it is delivering fuel and it is not. This is weird . I can understand that one injector dies, but all 4 at same time? Checked powers and grounds on Ecu. All fine.
Im officially confused.
Any Ideas?

Thanks
Mickey
grunf1976 wrote:Hello all,

Im officially confused.
Any Ideas?

Thanks
Mickey
Hello Mickey,

I found a couple of different compression ratios for the 1.4 engine depending upon engine code!

16.5:1, and
17.8:1

Using VE as a guide at 75%, and specific heat at 1.4, these compression ratios loosely convert to;

16.5:1 = 38.25 bar, and

17.8:1 = 42 bar.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Technician wrote:
Using VE as a guide at 75%, and specific heat at 1.4, these compression ratios loosely convert to;

16.5:1 = 38.25 bar, and

17.8:1 = 42 bar.
Hello,
I think you made a mistake.We are talking here about a non-starting engine,so only the compression can be measured,not about the peak of pressure on a working engine.
Best regards.

landroverman1958
OneWave
OneWave

Post by landroverman1958 »

Why don't you check the amperage of the injectors when cranking?and use a 2nd channel to the frp to see what the pressure is doing?any pid for low pressure pump if fitted,

grunf1976
OneWave
OneWave

Post by grunf1976 »

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies.
I dont think that the problem is caused by mechanical fault. In fact Im sure. As I said I used brake cleaner to start it. It runs no problem. It has cp3 pump on it sa no low fuel pressure pump. Gave it clean source of fuel just eliminate possibility of wrong fuel and nothing. Took one injector out of the engine to see if it is delivering fuel and it is not. Im sending all 4 injectors to get checked tomorrow, but I dont think that all 4 can fail at the same time. There should be some sign from engine when cranking but nothing.
Victor, If it is not to much of a problem I would like to take your offer on those waveforms.
Here is Fuel pressure sensor while cranking. I took it in a hurry since it was late and was tired. Will get all relevant tomorrow and post them

Regards,
Mickey
Attachments
senzor pritiska goriva.psdata
(693 KiB) Downloaded 530 times

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
Here is a voltage vs current injector capture for engine 1ND.
Best regards
Attachments
Toyota_Corolla_2006_Diesel_20180828-0004.psdata
(2.06 MiB) Downloaded 604 times

grunf1976
OneWave
OneWave

Post by grunf1976 »

Thank you very much Victor!!