2014 VERSA Note amp clamp connection issues

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
doghouseautowerks

2014 VERSA Note amp clamp connection issues

Post by doghouseautowerks »

Hello. I am new to pico scope. I am trying to learn the basics of pico on my own car, 2014 versa note, however, I am not getting a reading from the amp clamp for cranking amperage. I literally have the (2000 amp clamp) amp clamp at the positive terminal of the starter because the positive battery terminal has four different fusible links and is wrapped in a plastic shroud which would require excess work to get at. In addition I also tried to get the reading from the negative battery terminal but am not getting a reading through there either. Also I am using the guided automotive test in pico so all my scales have been set via the predetermined programming so I am at a loss as to why I'm not getting a signal. This car is the 1.6l with the intelligent key and also has the IPDM (intelligent power distribution module) module. Any help would be appreciated.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 2014 VERSA Note amp clamp connection issues

Post by Technician »

Hello, I know this is very basic, but and I think it can happen to any of us when something is new and we are learning the ropes, but assuming the current clamp is a pico one, have you actually turned the clamp on at the clamp and zeroed it?

Assuming all is OK, try setting the menu to "Auto" and let if find the scope find the signal for you!

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

And does it have a battery?

doghouseautowerks

Yes. The amp clamp was powered on and zeroed. I've used the pico on another car already to good effect but the versa is giving me one heck of a time.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts.

This sounds very odd given the location of the current clamp is adjacent to the starter.

We should most certainly capture some values as we know the clamp is functioning given you have tested the clamp against another vehicle

Using the Guided Test we may have an issue with the Trigger setting if the clamp orientation is incorrect to the direction of current flow.

Using the latest software 6.13.6 https://www.picoauto.com/downloads

Could you use the following settings file where I have increased the time span, removed the trigger setting and increased the scale by a factor of 2 (Channel A) to once again carry out a cranking current test and feedback any results?
CRANKING TEST.pssettings
Crank settings file-No Trigger
(4.7 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Take care......Steve

doghouseautowerks

Thanks for the reply. I will try uploading the setting file later today in order to see if I get a reading and will report back. Thanks for the help.

doghouseautowerks

doghouseautowerks wrote:Hello. I am new to pico scope. I am trying to learn the basics of pico on my own car, 2014 versa note, however, I am not getting a reading from the amp clamp for cranking amperage. I literally have the (2000 amp clamp) amp clamp at the positive terminal of the starter because the positive battery terminal has four different fusible links and is wrapped in a plastic shroud which would require excess work to get at. In addition I also tried to get the reading from the negative battery terminal but am not getting a reading through there either. Also I am using the guided automotive test in pico so all my scales have been set via the predetermined programming so I am at a loss as to why I'm not getting a signal. This car is the 1.6l with the intelligent key and also has the IPDM (intelligent power distribution module) module. Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: 2 things were happening. First I did not realize the amp clamps had an auto off feature if left alone for too long. Second, the laptop I was using was crashing during cranking and was unable to capture the event. Thanks for the speedy responses so far I appreciate it.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you for the feedback.

The auto shut off of the 2000 A current clamp can be over-ridden by holding the zero button whilst switching on the current clamp.

You will notice the clamp LED will now illuminate red indicating the clamp will remain on until the internal battery depletes .

I hope this helps, take care.......Steve