Updated software

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Updated software

Post by Technician »

I'm impressed with the latest software update :) I think I've noticed a difference between the previous version and the new version, not relating to customer details, but primarily looking at the "Traffic Light |System", I don't remember seeing that previously!

On the old software (I kept a printed copy) when completing a battery/starter/charging system test I did notice that the charging system was only charging at 66%, I noticed the battery software advised the battery was good but needed charging, so I didn't think too deeply about it, however, after the update I noticed this nice looking "Colorful" Traffic Light System, it stood out, thus the Green, Amber and Red lights made me see a problem I had not seen previously, hence the alternator charging at 66% has a leaky diode reading 1V. On the old software the "Ripple" voltage was not showing for some reason, but on the latest software the ripple voltage does. Now I think Pico have done a really good job here because for me at least it shows how easy a person could innocently miss a fault in a system!

I would also like to ask before I delve into trying to do it myself, is there a setting for adjusting the "decimal place" value on the alternator charging value, as 66.66666666666666666667% has a lot of decimal places and I believe 2 s.f would suffice!

Thanks for reading :)

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Updated software

Post by liviu2004 »

Too bad the new software does not show under Check for Updates. Windows 7.

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

We operate a phased roll out so it will appear in the Check for Updates soon, we always roll out via the website first.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the feedback re the new software it is always appreciated.

The traffic light system does help for sure but this is not included in the customer print out by default.

As technicians we know there will be times where an Amber warning is given because a value is on the cusp of high or low etc. (Thinking here of wheel alignment as another example)

Often this is due to a build up of tolerances or specific vehicle characteristics and to rectify these would result in unnecessary repairs.

By nature customers will worry about "Amber" as we all want to see "Green", hence the customer will not be exposed to the traffic light system.

Would you prefer if this could be an option to select? i.e Traffic light on or off for customer print outs? If so I will log a New Feature Request.

The decimal place issue has been raised and will be reviewed by the software team. This cannot be amended by the user at this stage.

I hope this helps, take care.......Steve

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Steve Smith wrote:Hello and thank you for the feedback re the new software it is always appreciated.

The traffic light system does help for sure but this is not included in the customer print out by default.

As technicians we know there will be times where an Amber warning is given because a value is on the cusp of high or low etc. (Thinking here of wheel alignment as another example)

Often this is due to a build up of tolerances or specific vehicle characteristics and to rectify these would result in unnecessary repairs.

By nature customers will worry about "Amber" as we all want to see "Green", hence the customer will not be exposed to the traffic light system.

Would you prefer if this could be an option to select? i.e Traffic light on or off for customer print outs? If so I will log a New Feature Request.

The decimal place issue has been raised and will be reviewed by the software team. This cannot be amended by the user at this stage.

I hope this helps, take care.......Steve
Hello Steve and thanks for the reply.

A couple of points;

1/ The traffic light system would be an advantage to turn on and off, then for marginal areas we could turn off, but when real issues arise we could turn it on and provide customers with a copy.

2/ I removed the software from the hard-drive today and re-installed thinking that it might of been a conflict, I could not get my head round why one half the software seemed to work yet the battery side was giving problems.

After a re-install this afternoon I carried out a battery starter charging test and now at the moment the only fault that appears is the ripple at now 2 V whereas before it was only 1 V. I put my DMM on AC and connected directly to the back of the alternator main battery feed and earth on the alternator case, run the engine at 1500 rpm and put all electrical loads on that the car had, a maximum of 140 mV could be seen, however the software is still showing a ripple of now 2 V!

Regards

Tech

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts.

Forgive me here as there appears to be two similar posts running concurrently topic19541.html

Just taking a step back re the software not functioning correctly i.e. Battery Test will not run or "no operation" after pressing the Battery Test start button.

Should this re-occur could you close the Pico Diagnostics (PD) software and locate the Trace File?
The Trace File is written to your PC upon closure of PD and contains information about events during your session.
This will help the engineers review the events step by step and locate our concern

1. Locating the trace.xml file
Trace.xml files can be located in the following directories:
Windows Vista/7/8: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Pico Technology\Pico Diagnostics
With the Pico Diagnostics folder open, you will find a larger folder identified by a long alpha numeric title (E.g. a6f37be2-ef55-40fe-914d-ddbe5251)
Open the above alpha numeric folder and locate the “trace xml” file for the last NVH connection attempt. (Identified by the date and time alongside)

To access the Application Data/AppData folder and sub-folders the option to view hidden folders within Windows must be enabled:
Windows Vista/7:
• Go to C:\Users\ in Windows Explorer
• Click Organise and select Folder and search options
Click the View tab, then under Hidden Files and Folders, select the tick box to 'Show hidden files and folders', and click 'OK': (See image below)
Trace file Hidden Folders
Trace file Hidden Folders
Moving onto alternator ripple, could you carry out a Battery Test as normal and post your results here.

Could you then carry out an Alternator Diode Ripple test http://localhost:8974/C:/Program%20File ... rnator.htm within PicoScope but also include Battery Voltage DC coupled and charging current on the remaining channels? (Not sure if your alternator is PCM controlled but there is a Guided Test for this style too)

Could you then post your psdata file here too and we can view them together.

I hope this helps, take care........Steve

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Thanks Steve,

I'll do the above tomorrow, should not be a problem. My friend (I have one) :mrgreen: Is a computer scientist with over 30 years experience and teaches at University, so I have printed the above and will hand it to him tomorrow to look at on the PC. I'll let you know.

Even though we have some slight problems here, it can't shake me from Pico its really good :D

Thanks Steve

Regards

Tech

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Hello Steve,

We have looked at your requests and I was trying to upload here as requested, however the Capture software on the forum is a serious problem, after many copy and paste exercises I gave up, the forum would not let me post.

We looked at the data you asked above and we found using Windows 10 that the data is not the same, however we have managed through Windows 10 to do what you asked. I did not however have the time to connect Pico 6 scope software this evening to run a ripple diode test, but then again I don't think there is a problem with it now since I reloaded the software. The battery diagnostics software today still have a ripple LED in RED showing as a fault, and the voltage is again 1V, this is from a SEAT Mii 2012 today.

In the trace files you asked for we have seen that there is a log of the old recorded files and they will more than likely have a log of the previous problems I was experiencing, so if you require those, which I think will be more than likely better data than new scope data now, I can send them across if you like!

To date it now seems that the software is functioning OK except for the ripple voltage being high!

Regards

Tech