non start, range rover p38

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Kudugar
OneWave
OneWave

non start, range rover p38

Post by Kudugar »

Hi All, on this behicle engine has been swopped and had lucas fuel injection system on and original engine has Bosch motronic. Cam trigger wheel and flywheel has been swopped to all being Bosch. It appears i have an issue with Crank signal voltage being VR sensor and voltage ia very low. fro my studies i should expect 1.5v but only get around 150mv and i think as result does not get proper trigger to coil packs working on wasted spark. please review waveform and comment are welcome. visual inspection shows spark and fuel but weak spark.
Attachments
Land Rover_Range Rover_2000_Petrol_20180606-0002.psdata
rr p38 4.6 with b osch 5.2.1 motronic FIS
(17.03 MiB) Downloaded 636 times

speck
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: non start, range rover p38

Post by speck »

First of all your settings are poor. Don't run Auto and put more time on the screen. 500ms/div and samplerate 5MS .Hope thats helps.

landroverman1958
OneWave
OneWave

Post by landroverman1958 »

Good morning i woulld say to see full amplitude of the crank back probe both crank wires,secondly maybe if the amplitude is the ok the air gap for the crank is to large,You should beable to generate a spark using a test lamp or make the injectors fire using the test light to subtitute the crank sensor.

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi Kudugar

You should reset the adaptive value for crank position sensor (CPK) whenever a new sensor is fitted or flywheel is removed - according the P38 Range Rover Workshop Manual.

Try this, before anything else. :wink:

Regards
Kim

Kudugar
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Kudugar »

Hi Sirs

i have reset all adaptions as per recommendations but to no avail. i have rescoped cam, crank, trigger for injector & triger for coil and seems to be mismatched by 45 deg. please see uploaded waveform and please feel free to comment with ideas going forward. the cam/ crank tin ig chain has been checked and from specs are to be correct. Crank Voltage seems low as well but air gap verified as per LR manual
Attachments
Land Rover_Range Rover_2000_Petrol_20181003-0002.psdata
(14.33 MiB) Downloaded 564 times

speck
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by speck »

Hi, poor settings again. You better read guided tests before you connect your scope. Everything at 20 Volt setting, no
Attenuator on primary ignition (less than half the trace) same for injector. Difficult to see anything in your scope trace.
Try again.

kona
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by kona »

Kudugar wrote:........ on this behicle engine has been swopped and had lucas fuel injection system on and original engine has Bosch motronic. .............
Hi,

Describe this in more detail ...... lucas > Bosch :?: :?:

Have you changed the ECU and engine sensors?

Kudugar
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Kudugar »

HI

i have now rescoped with better settings. seems fuel injection trigger is way out vs cylinder pressure and spark on cyl 1 with wpx 500. it remains non start
Attachments
Land Rover_Range Rover_2000_Petrol_20181004-0004.psdata
(12.52 MiB) Downloaded 551 times

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I think like others have said previously, the scope settings still need some adjustments. Referring to the snap shot of your trace I have included below, it seems like there is no engine valves opening and closing?

In the trace shown where the injection event is occurring you should be seeing some oscillations taking place there showing the exhaust valves opening and pushing spent gasses out, and then shortly thereafter the inlet valves should be opening, thus a drop in pressure should be seen before the compression tower starts to build again.

At the moment I think this could all be down to your scope settings?
Attachments
Capture Screen shot 2.JPG

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Kudugar wrote:HI

i have now rescoped with better settings. seems fuel injection trigger is way out vs cylinder pressure and spark on cyl 1 with wpx 500. it remains non start
Fuel injection event seems OK to me where it is, i.e. just before the inlet valves start to open.