Breakout Leads - 6 Way

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Breakout Leads - 6 Way

Post by martinr »

I’m keen to hear views on the 6 way breakout leads (PQ070 (TA324). PP943)

I want to take some known good signals from the ignition system and in researching connectors to make up special home-made breakout leads, I came across the Pico universal breakouts (and the Hantek copies). The case in point meant backprobing is impossible due to the style of the connector, and piercing the signal wire would mean interfering with the shielding braid. So breakout would be the preferred method.

With the 4425, it’s conceivable that one might want to take use all 4 channels from breakouts, in which case a 6-way setbof leads would leave you 2 leads short. I wonder if anyone’s run up against that? I’d really like to know how these breakout sets work out in practice.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Breakout Leads - 6 Way

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Martinr,

You may think me biased as I work here, but this kit is extremely useful. When faced with the situation of where back probing and insulation piercing are not this kit will allow you to measure both voltage and current without disrupting the circuit. I was recently in a position just the other day where I needed to break into a 10 Pin connector and no option to back probe or pierce the loom. Some slight modification to 4 of the other breakout leads and I could keep the circuit complete but carry out the measurements required.
20180301_104037.jpg
I understand what you mean by having 6 leads and only 4 channels but when it comes to taking measurements with the scope having an action plan in place in order to diagnose your fault will help reduce the number of connections you need to make. A wiring diagram will help eliminate the need to check every wire you have broken into but if you wanted to initially check for signals the ends of the break out leads clip together which will help to connect and disconnect the test lead quickly.

There is one word of caution when using any breakout lead and that is to make sure you have connected each side of the plug correctly. There is a danger you could short a component by making an incorrect connection so before switching the power back on double check and then check again to make sure it is correct!

I hope this helps and if you need any further advice please feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards

Ben

martinr
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by martinr »

Many thanks, Ben. I should hope you are biased; if you weren’t I’d have to report you to Steve Smith.

Yes, it was extremely helpful. I see there are 2 kits: the PP943, the 6-way universal lead kit; and the PQ070, the premium kit, which contains not only more sizes of flat male and female connectors but also 4 different round pin sizes, so with that kit it should be possible to match the exact shape and size of the pins without making compromises or risking spreading terminals. It does seem a very elegant solution, indeed.

Many thanks.

Martin

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

When I used mine for ignition check. Short video, but visible: