J2534 adapter for Heavy Truck (Class 8)

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.

J2534 adapter for Heavy Truck (Class 8)

Postby Mike_mtor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pm

What is the recommendation for a J2534 to get engine/vehicle data for the NVH kit for class 8 heavy trucks? I have tried the Noregon JPro adapter that we typically use to connect for other software packages but the Pico software did not recognize that it was connected to the laptop.
Mike_mtor

Re: J2534 adapter for Heavy Truck (Class 8)

Postby Steve Smith » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 am

Hi Mike I hope you are well?

Thank you for the post and sorry for such a late reply.

I have looked at the JPro adapter and the specifications on their website and it seems J2534 is not listed

Supports the heavy duty SAE J1587/J1708, J1939, ISO 15765 and KWP2000 messages

J1939 is however listed and this is a New Feature Request that is high on the list for development here at Pico.
(Said way too much already)

Given J1939 is the industry standard for Heavy Goods and Commercial Vehicles with regards to communication, your JPro adapter will function with NVH when such a feature is released.

In the meantime, to obtain engine speed I have used the Optical Sensor aimed directly at the crankshaft pulley or the crankshaft sensor signal input option at the NVH Set Up screen.

RPM VIA CHANNEL D-NVH.jpg

Using the "Calculate Road Speed" option the software will calculate the vehicle speed once you enter the gear ratios under the "Vehicle Information" screen

CALCULATE ROAD SPEED.jpg

NVH RATIO ENTRY-ADVANCED OPTION.jpg

Have you been able to overcome the OBD connectivity issue in this fashion Mike?

Take care.......Steve
Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: J2534 adapter for Heavy Truck (Class 8)

Postby Mike_mtor » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks,

Right now I have just been using it at a constant RPM and it has been OK. Will try with the optical sensor. Adding J-1939 support would be a huge benefit. This tool would be great for the heavy truck industry. Please let me know when that functionality is available!

Mike
Mike_mtor

Return to PicoDiagnostics NVH