Vauxhall Movano / Renault Master 2.5 G9U

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
STC
Banned

Vauxhall Movano / Renault Master 2.5 G9U

Post by STC »

I looked at this as a Crank but No Start this morning, Driver complains that it has been difficult to start for some time now. Immediately I did not like the sound of the starter motor.

Adding a Battery booster and it started, drove it for 10 minutes. Then checked Battery voltage after 10 minutes - 12.8v, Disabled fuel and got this cranking :
Mavano 2.5 Suspect starter.psdata
(170.6 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
Peak amps look way too high to me ?

Any observations welcome -

steevegt
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Vauxhall Movano / Renault Master 2.5 G9U

Post by steevegt »

All I can see for now is that amperage is high, and RPM is really low. Am I right?

Can you do another capture with battery voltage also? If it is too low it may point to a battery problem I guess.

Try with the booster connected (higher feed voltage) to measure the starter current. If it is much lower, I guess the battery is the problem, not allowing the starter to get to the right RPM.

STC
Banned

Re: Vauxhall Movano / Renault Master 2.5 G9U

Post by STC »

Hi Steeve

I did take Starter and Battery Voltage but unplugged the USB and poooof - it was gone !

A new starter motor was ordered by the garage on my say so.

The feedback is this: One of the 3 bolts was missing so the Starter was moving, a fine explanation ?
The Earth Strap that could sustain 600 Amps was corroded and needed cleaning - I think his glasses needed cleaning :D
With the replacement starter, all 3 bolts tight, it spins better and faster, sounds much better when cranking and starts quicker.