Hybrid A/C compressor testing

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
gn8691
OneWave
OneWave

Hybrid A/C compressor testing

Post by gn8691 »

Hi guys and girls.
Is there anyone who has used their pico to successfully look at waveforms from these hybrids with electrically driven compressors?
There are going to be more and more on the market needing regassing and diagnosis.
If so what precautions, accessories and settings did you use?
I know the gen 2 Prius uses a 3 phase 200v compressor.
I have a 2 channel 4423 scope.
Thanks,
Iain

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Hybrid A/C compressor testing

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
What do you need to know about this?Here is a short description of the a/c system
You will need a 1/10 atenuator with your 4423 and some good rubber gloves...but you can't work on a 201v supply with your scope!the safe way is to use Techstream /Denso VIM or Mongoose to diag your system.
Toyota use more subcodes(this can be readed only with proper software and sometimes can be a few subcodes for the same fault code!).
More important is the used oil for this compressors!And this quality of oil can't be readed by our picos...
Regards.
Attachments
m_be_0084.pdf
(243.29 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Last edited by victor2k on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

If so what precautions, accessories and settings did you use?
Iain.

With respect, the fact that you need to ask that question and intend to work on EV / Hybrids is a worry.
There are going to be more and more on the market needing regassing and diagnosis.
I agree and it will pay off for those of us that understand the design and subsequent diagnosis and repair of these.

Make no mistake these things can and do run at 600+ V AC and can be lethal. May I suggest that you attend some training on these vehicles before you dive in.

Insulation Gloves are fine, but there is a procedure to test them before each use .... ...

If you were looking for a recommendation then Bosch offer Level 2 & 3 QCF.
I have completed both and can promise you that they are informative with lots of hands on practical with real cars.

http://uk-ww.bosch-automotive.com/en_GB ... ogrammes_2

Hope that helps

gn8691
OneWave
OneWave

Post by gn8691 »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replys.
I appreciate your safety concerns and believe me i was not going to go sticking probes into HV wires.
I have attended a one day Hybrid course but as you know this only scratches the surface and allows you to disable complete HV side safely.
Perhaps I'll do the next level of hybrid courses as it is the future in this industry for the next few years.
I will look into the dealer level software but i am always keen to do actual testing of components with my pico.
I have regassed hybrids in the past and yes i used the correct oil and avoided contamination of the system.
Thanks again,
Iain

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

I have attended a one day Hybrid course but as you know this only scratches the surface and allows you to disable complete HV side safely.
Indeed, but we are real world diagnosticians and we want to test it Live & Safely - I am with you there.

That I am guessing is level 2, Level 3 goes in deeper, theory of brushless motors, insulation testing and lots more.

Level 4 is where you work on the systems "Live" however not an easy course to find and book. Last time I looked BMW offer it but with a very long lead time. You could try Johnny Batten at Auto IQ Northampton for training.

Steve Smith is ex Toyota so he will be in a position to guide you too.

gn8691
OneWave
OneWave

Post by gn8691 »

Thanks again for the useful information.

Iain

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
At the attached link you will find some steps in flushing procedure on a hybrid car...more infos only on private :D
https://mega.nz/#!gZAVGRiC!HtKAgU0oPAFZ ... rQZ_jRjZaY
Enjoy!