Waveform Library Reform

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
steevegt
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Waveform Library Reform

Post by steevegt »

liviu2004 wrote:...
Fine if you want to make like comments list for the waveform...
That was my idea. Like having a forum thread dedicated for each waveform, having users discussing the waveform and stuff around that.

Being able to edit the waveform file, I don't like that either, and I don't think it makes sense...

The Up and Down vote, could also be a good feature for fast sorting or filtering waveforms.

MattFMN

Post by MattFMN »

In a "wiki" type database or information source, you will always have accuracy issues. It's inherent. However, it also allows for a very quick way to develop a large database. With enough active and knowledgeable users, it can be peer reviewed and policed.

I would argue that the majority of those willing to take the time to upload captures are also going to probably have a higher instance of accurate captures.

Is the database more for the uploading of "known good", rather than for help? My interpretation of the database is that of a searchable collection of known good waveforms, which as time goes on will become increasingly valuable.

It would be difficult to set up guidelines to posting, honestly.

The way I see it, the biggest issues are that the database just needs to grow and I'd like to be able to register my PicoScopes and get a username and password that allows me access without being required to have a scope connected.

Perhaps, if there are questions on the accuracy of a capture, we can flag it and have a group of volunteers that receive an alert about said flag and can investigate.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
Why I can't access the Waveform Library if I use my phone as a hotspot?
Tested on 2 laptops(one with XP and 6.11 and other with w7 with 6.12.7) and I have the same issue :(
Regards
Attachments
20170726_161757.jpg

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Phone details and operating system version? I had no issues two days ago, samsung s5 mini.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Me too. No issues - Samsung S7 Edge Vodafone Uk

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

get a username and password that allows me access without being required to have a scope connected.
That would suit me too, having to have the scope connected is a pain and inconvenience for me.

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

I second/third the issue of having a scope connected to access it for both upload and downloading, maybe a token that once authenticated with scope attached allows your username access for 3-6 months or longer, so that each time you do browse with a scope the token is reset, so 98% of the time you need to, you can access without the scope present. I often do analysis in the office or at home, the workshop is too noisy and uncomfortable to go into complex issues, I'd rather not need to have a scope with me, it's taking it out of productive use!

Separately, while uploading a capture today, I had 4 channels in use for my own purposes/carried over from other and the next test, but turned off the display of those (not the channels themselves, just the display) but it then insists you fill in the channel labels. So can you add an entry at the start or end of the list of channel labels like "ignore - do not uplaod" ?

I then realised I can turn off the channels post a capture, never knew that, and tried to re-upload, of course get a warning waveform already uploaded, but could this not be changed for the uploading "owning" user to "overwrite, add new or abort?" ... clearly don't want someone other than the original uploader to modify it, but something to allow an update by the source user, even via a moderator's review, would be better than the current prompt!

thanks
Richard

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Mark Dalton wrote:I like the idea of being able to up or down vote a Waveform, it's an efficient way to give feedback.
What - Like Tinder ??? :D :D :D

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Alan »

Thanks to all for that feedback. There will be a project to make some improvements to the database but we also have several projects queued up ahead of this so whilst the feedback is valuable it will take some time (probably next year) before we get around to this.

The only way to speed this up is if you know some good software engineers - send them this way
https://jobs.picotech.com/

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi Alan
Thanks for the update, it always good to hear the comments on here are heard and being considered for future updates. It can be frustrating when nothing is acknowledged or responded to by the PicoTeam when bugs and features requests are being discussed.

Clearly, these things take time to both plan and slot into the schedule, but knowing it's being addressed is great news. Thanks.

:idea: If it is possible, over the next couple of months, to have some details of the elements, improvements or new features being considered and those explicitly being discounted (why is sometimes useful!), it will probably spark more debate and user feedback, which can only lead to a stronger product, and more involved and committed user base (hard to think we could be more committed but I'm sure there's still room before we hit the loonie bin and get sectioned!) :D

Thanks again for a great product, and look forward to seeing (and participating) in its continued improvement and growth.

Best
Richard