CAN Going to sleep

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Stephen_Albers

CAN Going to sleep

Post by Stephen_Albers »

Devices plugged into my 2014 VW EOS diagnostic port quit after a day of so of being parked without the engine running. :(
Could it be that the network goes to sleep to save power? How can I test for this?

tnx,

Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: CAN Going to sleep

Post by Mark Dalton »

I'm surprised it takes a whole day. I would have thought within an hour the BUS would be asleep, after that I would imagine it would only be modules waiting for remote inputs i.e. remote transmitters, passive entry, door buttons / switches.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Its a diagnostic port, not play port!

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi
Two different issues here
1. The live at the EOBD is permanent live, so never goes to sleep
2. As Mark said, depending on model/year etc the different BUS will go to sleep, in anything from a few seconds to maybe 40minutes, say 60minutes as an outside. This is perfectly normal.

If you device is drawing excessive current from the Live then it'll drop battery voltage to possibly a level below it's own minimum. You could check this by leaving a trickle charger attached.

But this is all a little missing the point, why do you want to monitor the BUS when the car is asleep? Yes, I realise there are some reasons, but would like to hear yours/your deivce?

Have you tried pulling the BUS on to the scope to see things?

Best Richard

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Devices plugged into my 2014 VW EOS diagnostic port quit after a day of so of being parked without the engine running.
What devices ??