adding math channel

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
wellspin
OneWave
OneWave

adding math channel

Post by wellspin »

Had my new diagnostic toy a while now,a 3223 certainly a very nice piece of kit.
I tried the pico diagnostics cylinder balance with mixed results,still a work in progress I think.
This led me to using the math channel for misfire detection.I have played with this feature using the equation (A,36) and (A.60),the car is a 2001 renault scenic 1.6 16 valve petrol.My results seem different to what I was expecting.
Ive attached an RPM capture from the car,can somebody apply the math channel and maybe add some data, comments etc
cheers
Ian :)
Attachments
test 21.psdata
(2.79 MiB) Downloaded 586 times

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: adding math channel

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
Why the amplitude of your signal is only 10mV(15-18PP)?
Something in your setup is wrong.
Please make a new capture with a misfire event recorded.
Best regards

Datchet Diagnostics

Post by Datchet Diagnostics »

I note that the capture was gathered with the scope channel set to AC. Although these inductive position sensors do output a AC signal they are best measured with the Pico set to DC and the black lead directly secured to battery minus. AC coupling this particular measurement has a potential to hide some critical data obscuring your process.

wellspin
OneWave
OneWave

Post by wellspin »

It was taken using a x10 probe,looking at the specs I realise that something is a miss with wiring or the ecu possibly.
ill do some checks and report back

Ben Martins

Post by Ben Martins »

As Victor2k has said I think there is something not right in your setup. You shouldn't need to change the probe to x10 for crank signal. If you're looking for a misfire it would be worth using the other channel you have available as well. Maths channels can be utilised better when you have more information. Getting the setup right in the first place is always key. As a general rule of thumb for measuring vehicle circuits we use the 20/20 rule which means ±20 V and 20 ms/div. This is really useful if you're dealing with sensors that you are unsure of output voltages.