Ford Smart Charging System

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
STC
Banned

Re: Ford Smart Charging System

Post by STC »

Danny
If the alternator doesnt charge at default rate with the lin isolated and has a good power supply and ground id agree with the generator.
I too agree with that test and conclusion but the prerequisite to that test is a Good Battery, Wiring & Drive from the Crankshaft.

The BMWs suffer from Crank Rubber pulleys failing, in the workshop all is good but they don't charge properly on the road in active service.
I have seen faulty batteries dragging down good alternators on a few occasions, internally Shorted to an extent that the alternator cant keep up I guess ???

Our friend has
charging amps full load is providing initially around 110 amps, which then drops to around 80 amps as the alternator warms up.
That is some consumption for a P155Pot little Basic Petrol Powered Fiesta, unless he has left his spanner across the battery terminals.

What does the starter motor on that thing pull whilst cranking this time of year ?? 100 - 140 Amps ???

Those figures one could possibly believe, but question, coming from a fully loaded S Class, 7 Series, Audi Q7, Rolls Royce .....

Pound to a penny that will need an alternator Only if the bad battery has worked it silly, "consequential loss"

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

It may require a new battery?

It might have the incorrect type of battery fitted?

Please advise if you know, should this car have the calcium type battery fitted?

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Sorry admin error on my behalf, I think others saw through that. The SOH is 89%, the SOC is 45%. The terminal voltage is 12.16v, yes not ideal.
Whatever, I don't use a designated Battery Tester ( Battery Sales Aid) I use the Starter Motor of the Car, Extended Cranking and a scope to Record the Results.

it is a 063 lead acid type, should this car have the calcium type battery, this is confusing at the moment as I have read somewhere that not all smart charge systems have a calcium battery fitted.
Regardless of what you read and where - You have a duty to consult the VM for the technical specification and then either meet or exceed it.

I refer to / quote my previous post
I think (in the absence of 40+ possible DTC's) the Car needs a New Battery and it is fixed !
and
Pound to a penny that will need an alternator Only if the bad battery has worked it silly, "consequential loss"

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

According to Valeo they advise only a silver calcium battery should be fitted, I guess then if the battery tomorrow turns out to be the incorrect one and has fried the alternator, the RAC won't be in a good position for fitting the incorrect type of battery.

It would be appreciated if you lost the attitude thanks.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Please advise if you know, should this car have the calcium type battery fitted?
It is Smart Charge - Fact
Danny has advised you that it can and will charge up to circa15.7 volts at times - Fact -
Danny is not often wrong - Another Fact
I would not subject a Lead Acid 12v to near 16v for health reasons - Fact

I cannot confirm it needs a Calcium battery because it may or may not be designed and better suited with an AGM.

Once again, it is your duty of Care to Refer to the VM Data.

The Lord God blessed us with a brain, we should use it and not be swayed with hearsay that contradicts common sense.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I will ask Ford tomorrow, but today is Sunday and they are closed, and AD don't or can't be bothered anymore to upload any real useful information.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

When the alternator arrives back if it was faulty because of an incorrectly fitted battery, which I knew about at the outset but have been given conflicting information to date, Sunday, so again if the car can use a lead acid battery normally when I find out tomorrow.

The alternator clearly does not charge disconnected from the LIN bus, at this point through the car electronics away, these alternators will charge without LIN bus so it is a good check to see if the alternator works or not, and clearly it does not.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

The battery type on this will be a silver calcium , probably 390cca and 68ah I think .
Definitely fit the oe ford or motorcraft battery .
Danny

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Dcunning35 wrote:The battery type on this will be a silver calcium , probably 390cca and 68ah I think .
Definitely fit the oe ford or motorcraft battery .
Danny
Thanks Danny

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

STC wrote:
It is Smart Charge - Fact
Danny has advised you that it can and will charge up to circa15.7 volts at times - Fact -
Danny is not often wrong - Another Fact
I would not subject a Lead Acid 12v to near 16v for health reasons - Fact

I cannot confirm it needs a Calcium battery because it may or may not be designed and better suited with an AGM.

Once again, it is your duty of Care to Refer to the VM Data.

The Lord God blessed us with a brain, we should use it and not be swayed with hearsay that contradicts common sense.
Spoken to some auto electricians today, they all agree that Smart Charging Systems can and will work OK with either Silver Calcium or lead acid batteries fitted. I have researched Silver Calcium batteries now, apparently the manufacturer advises that these batteries are in fact lead acid batteries, the plates are coated in silver, but are basically lead acid batteries.