non pico high current clamp

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Knoxtech

non pico high current clamp

Post by Knoxtech »

I have a pico 4425 and I also have a fluke i1010 high current clamp . I was wondering if any one knew which probe setting to use on the scope to have the proper conversion take place.Thank you for any help

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: non pico high current clamp

Post by PicoKev »

The probe settings in the Picoscope Automotive software are are specific to the Pico range of current clamps.

However I see from a basic google search that the Fluke clamp has a conversion rate of (1 mV = 1 A.) so simply gauge the measuring range you expect the component you are testing will output and select a voltage scale to suit.

As one volt of output from the clamp will equal 1000 Amps; as you can see it will not have to be a large scale, but as always go with a larger scale if you are not sure and either repeat the test at a more appropriate scale, or simply use the amazingly powerful Pico Zoom feature to see into the detail of the waveform.

Many people do not bother with pre-sets as they know their equipment and what to expect so the voltage scaling is quicker and easier.

Obviously the fluke is a high current relatively "course" measuring instrument and will obviously be fine for starter draw etc. but I would be interested to see some examples of captures you make for lower current components. please post some examples here. 8) :)

As an example the Pico TA234 (my side arm of choice!) outputs 100mV / Amp
and the TA018 outputs mV/10 mA (100 mV = 1 A) at the 20Amp scale

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Tools->CustomProbes and create a New Probe using the equation for your clamp, 1 mV = 1 A if that is the correct one, and you will have a shiny new preset specifically for this device.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Martyn wrote:Tools->CustomProbes and create a New Probe using the equation for your clamp, 1 mV = 1 A if that is the correct one, and you will have a shiny new preset specifically for this device.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Isn't the Pico 600 clamp (TA019) and that fluke both the same - 1mv = 1A ? Just use the preset already there?

FF

Knoxtech

Post by Knoxtech »

Fat Freddy wrote:Isn't the Pico 600 clamp (TA019) and that fluke both the same - 1mv = 1A ? Just use the preset already there?

FF

That was I was thinking but could not find the specific documentation to support the thought. Thanks for the input