NMEA 2000 or J1939 example wanted

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

NMEA 2000 or J1939 example wanted

Post by Fat Freddy »

Not a car needing fixed but.............

As the title states, I'm after an example of preferably NMEA 2000 data transmission capture but J1939 will do. It's mainly for a project I want to start to give me a better grounding in CAN data manipulation and understanding of what the data frame is made up of e.g. 'Cyclic Redundancy Code'. This would then be put into a practical use such as engine monitoring - RPM, temp, fuel flow etc.
I also want to be able to take another data type, NMEA 0893, which is similar to RS422 and convert that to NMEA 2000 (a converter is available on the market for a price)

I do have a fair bit of documentation on the protocols including libraries containing the definition of various PGN's used by NMEA 2000. But seeing some actual data that I can play about with would be a big help.

I don't expect this to be a walk in the park but I should learn a lot about CAN.

Thanks in advance
FF

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: NMEA 2000 or J1939 example wanted

Post by PicoKev »

Freddy,

I am afraid I cannot help with the NMEA2K capture (there is not much water around my patch!)

Have you posted on the Pico T&M forum https://www.picotech.com/support/

I suspect you may have more chance of success "In the Other Place" as they say in parliament. Also may be worth a post on the Autonerdz forum as they have a marine man on there.

Good Luck with your Quest. 8)

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: NMEA 2000 or J1939 example wanted

Post by Fat Freddy »

Thanks Kev.

I'll have a look there on the other side. I had by passed it as I doubted I'd get a file compatible for the auto scope.
Thought I may be pushing the NMEA2K on "Help me fix my car" as well, hence J1939 (although not car but at least involves wheels).

Cheers
FF