Minimum time for vibration

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
rwx

Minimum time for vibration

Post by rwx »

I read in an older post where the vibration needs to last at least 3 seconds. Is that still true?

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Minimum time for vibration

Post by Martyn »

That will really depend upon exactly what the vibration is, and how you are trying to look at it in the software.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

rwx

Post by rwx »

The vibration is probably a T1 at about 10 Hz.

It lasts 1-2 seconds with a pause of several seconds between events. The length of the vibration and pause varies some.

I would like the software to analyze the vibration frequency to determine if it is really at T1 frequency or not.

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

Which scope do you have?

And do you have one of the NVH kits ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

rwx

Post by rwx »

I'm trying to help a technician at my local GM dealer. I know they have Pico equipment, but the tech could not pick up the vibration on his equipment. (I'm sure the equipment recorded the vibration, but I'm guessing it was not sustained long enough for the analysis, which I suppose is an FFT, to show it)

When I took him for a ride, he then understood under at what driving conditions the vibration occurred.

I assume they have a NVH kit and a PicoScope 4000 Series Automotive oscilloscope, so lets base the discussion on that.

Thanks

Richard

rwx

Post by rwx »

There is another way to go at this: Take an actual recording and snip out a few seconds, then reload that short piece of data to see if the FFT will handle it.

I tried to do that with the sample VW Golf data, but I could not see how to extract a few seconds of data (other than exporting it to a .csv file).

Is there software that will do that?