Transporter T5 1.9 TDI AXC

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
STC
Banned

Re: Transporter T5 1.9 TDI AXC

Post by STC »

Or mechanical, you said that the engine has been rebuilt ,did you do cyl protrusions to ensure right head gasket selected. Maybe take another look at the cylinder balancing .
Danny
If you look back through the thread it started with Lack of Power - suspect blocked Cat but no mention of misfire at idle. All sorts in between, an injector maxed out on smooth running control, and now the Lack of power has been cured by a Remap and a misfire on cold idle has manifested.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

I tried to measure the current flow but the insulation on the wiring at the plugs is very thick and won't allow a clamp to record any data.
Sorry, I don't understand this part. Is it because the insulation is so thick you can't physically put the clamp around it? If the clamp could fit round the cable I can't think of any reason why it can't 'record data'. Those clamps Pico use are sensitive enough to be visibly effected by the earths magnetic field, a bit of insulation should be no problem what so ever.

IMO and without knowing/seeing the vehicle I'd be inclined to think there is no current flow at all or pilot error.

HTH
FF

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

F Freddie
without knowing/seeing the vehicle
The AXC is a PD Engine ??? With the injector / glow plug loom under the rocker cover and a round plug at the flywheel end of the engine ??
If the above is correct then the amp clamp can be fitted near that Plug, at the Relay, the Fuse or somewhere in between. Either way you will have to peel back the insulation a little - nothing drastic !

Alternative is a trip to the breakers yard and you can make yourself a Breakout Lead with 4 switches giving you the ability to cut one injector at a time (without removing the rocker cover and making a mess) when they come in as a non start with an injector stack shorted to ground.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

the injector / glow plug loom under the rocker cover and a round plug at the flywheel end of the engine
Thanks. That somewhat explains it slightly better, although probably obvious to guys used to that engine. Originally read
the insulation on the wiring at the plugs is very thick
as "the insulation on the wiring at the (glow) plugs is very thick".
I'll leave it at that.

Perplexed
FF

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Freddy

For your reference, here is a picture of the Injector / Glow plug loom (fits under the rocker cover)

The round plug will fit / exit at the back of the head.
PD Injector Loom.jpg

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

There is a very good saying, that saying is; A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I'll answer the above replies/conversations this evening and address the issues of understanding the PD VW engine, which above has been lost.

It might be possible if the link works to see the correct type of heater plugs wiring fitted to the T5. The example provided prior to this is the incorrect type for the T5 AXC engine.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDEyMDA=/ ... ZE/$_1.JPG

It is worth mentioning that the heater plug wiring harness on the T5 AXC DOES NOT fit inside the cylinder head along with the injector wiring harness. The current flow for the PD injectors would not cause any hazards combined in the cylinder head, although I am thinking that maybe the current flow for the heaters swimming in oil inside the cylinder head rocker cover area might be a fire hazard, hence VW locate the heater plugs outside of the cylinder head and the heavy duty harness, plastic, is located outside the cylinder head along the side at the front of the transverse engine arrangement.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

STC wrote:F Freddie
The AXC is a PD Engine ??? With the injector / glow plug loom under the rocker cover and a round plug at the flywheel end of the engine ??
If the above is correct then the amp clamp can be fitted near that Plug, at the Relay, the Fuse or somewhere in between. Either way you will have to peel back the insulation a little - nothing drastic !

Alternative is a trip to the breakers yard and you can make yourself a Breakout Lead with 4 switches giving you the ability to cut one injector at a time (without removing the rocker cover and making a mess) when they come in as a non start with an injector stack shorted to ground.
STC wrote:F Freddie

I am assuming that you are unsure with this statement "The AXC is a PD Engine ???"

You say that "With the injector / glow plug loom under the rocker cover and a round plug at the flywheel end of the engine ??" I am assuming that you have not actually worked on these vehicles!!

Please see my previous post for clarification.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

The galaxy pd, had glow plugs mounted accross the front of the cylinder head ,not situated inside the cylinder head, Im not an expert with vw and certainly dont profess to know every variant .
Regarding checking the plug outputs I would go to the relay and connect my meter inline there . From vivid memory these give cylinder specific fault codes? So surely the pcm has a monitor for residual current flow back to pcm this would be fused?
The main thing is to think has the misfire shown itself prior to engine repair? Or remap? ,what was actually altered within the calibration ? Was it the original file modified or a purchased file if so you have no verification of compatibility with inj nozzles etc only the ecu.
I suggest back to basics
Repeat compressions?
Prove glow plugs function correctly ?
Is injector alignment and plundger set correctly?
Good luck
For your glow plug relay check elsawin

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Apologies my above post should say has misfire presented itself post engine repair.
Danny

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Dcunning35 wrote:The galaxy pd, had glow plugs mounted accross the front of the cylinder head ,not situated inside the cylinder head, Im not an expert with vw and certainly dont profess to know every variant .
Regarding checking the plug outputs I would go to the relay and connect my meter inline there . From vivid memory these give cylinder specific fault codes? So surely the pcm has a monitor for residual current flow back to pcm this would be fused?
The main thing is to think has the misfire shown itself prior to engine repair? Or remap? ,what was actually altered within the calibration ? Was it the original file modified or a purchased file if so you have no verification of compatibility with inj nozzles etc only the ecu.
I suggest back to basics
Repeat compressions?
Prove glow plugs function correctly ?
Is injector alignment and plundger set correctly?
Good luck
For your glow plug relay check elsawin
Danny thanks for replying.

The engine misfire only started after the engine rebuild but not straight away. I am not 100% convinced the heater plugs circuit is working fully as it should do. I have the VW workshop manual from erwin for this van, it seems after reading through the workshop manual and electrical sections, fuel supply etc etc that somewhere along the line modifications without prior notice have taken place, the reason I say this is because the workshop manual refers to a automatic glow period control unit J179 that I was looking for in the technical information and could not locate it. The workshop manual also refers to the engine control unit J623 but VW other training information I have for this setup has been redesigned, the J179 period control unit is not used, and the J623 control unit has been changed, the heater plugs now work from the engine ECM and a standard 4 pin relay, yes a couple of other inputs from coolant, crank sensor, fuel temperature are noted in circuit, but I was looking for the heater plug relay, which is not fitted to this model anymore.

I disconnected the heater plug wiring and using a test lamp checked for voltage supply to each plug, which I have but not a loaded test, the heaters are brand new just fitted. I removed the heaters after the engine had been run a few times and cylinders 1,2 plugs have been heated and are discoloured, cylinders 3 and 4 have not heat discolourisation indicating they have not been heated, the engine does start with a misfire but dissappears as the engine warms up, in fact at normal temperature the engine is very smooth and even running, so I am suspecting a heater circuit type problem.

The injector alignment and plungers I set using the data from the VW manual, using my 400 mm ruler and set square I set injector 1 to 333 mm, injector 2 to 245 mm, injector 3 to 153 mm and injector 4 to 86 mm.

The working travel of the injectors I followed the VW manual instructions, thus backing off each rocker adjuster screw until the rocker rested flat on the injector plungers, then getting the cam lobe nose at the peak on the rocker and observing the DTI gauge reading to reach its lowest point, then tightening the rocker adjuster all the way down until the limit was reached, then backing off 180 degrees. I would have thought if these adjustments had of been wrong then all cylinders would be affected and the misfire would be there all the time.