inductive pickup setting

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
blake

inductive pickup setting

Post by blake »

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here in the States! Happy Thursday to everyone else lol. I was wondering what setting to use when using a Plain Jane, Inductive pickup for a sync? There isnt a selection under the probe icon and I would rather not have to hook up a HT lead because of the ensuring of a good ground element. Sometimes the ground hookup doesn't reach the battery neg. I have been getting an increased amount of emission failures on 90's vehicles lately, so a quick, accurate hookup would be great...

Thanks,
Blake

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: inductive pickup setting

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi Blake

by plain Jane pickup do you mean an RPM DMM type thing this this:
Or one of these:
Tom from AutoNerdz wrote a few lines on this forum thread:
topic1412.html

I've never used the DMM RPM pickup with Pico either to sync or just look at the signal, so can't say first hand what the voltage levels might be, or if you'll need a 10:1 / 20:1 attenuator in line ... or indeed if the response might relative to other things include a delay (which at Pico speeds may or may not be an issue) ... but ... I do have 3 or 4 of them kicking about the workshop gathering dust, and have a car which is about to undergo a full 8 sparks monitoring (using the mixmaster, another underused Pico item, that needs more action!), so I'll run up some data, including offset verse the proper capacitive leads, probably be Monday before I can post, but if we can squeeze it today I will try.

If you have any results in the meantime please do share ...

Best
Richard