Would a simulator be useful to solve diagnostic faults?

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
oakey

Post by oakey »

Over the past few years, we have been searching for a Resistance and Wave Simulator to aid diagnostics. We feel this could be used to establish whether a component is faulty. It would also be useful for testing/checking ECU and wiring.
This we feel would save time on finding faults and costs of obtaining and fitting the incorrect parts.
A standalone unit supplied by the vehicle battery would be a perfect solution.
If this unit had a variable resistor, this could be used to diagnose many faults throughout the vehicle.
What are your opinions on this? Is there anything similar on the market?

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Would a simulator be useful to solve diagnostic faults?

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi
Welcome to the Forum ...

I've seen a few devices out there and had the same thought myself, and not one to deter exploration of ideas, as I'd be keen to hear how you progress and the outcomes you achieve, I found that there are limited things you can use to "substitute" and fool the ECU ...
- temperature (a simple variable resistor - so no need to buy a special tool - search ebay - £5-£40 depending)
- Pressure - can be amp based (4-20ma) or voltage, voltage is simple - bench power supply or simple DC-DC buck converter (about £5 on ebay)
- PWM signal - again plenty boards on Ebay, (see a post by STC recently) from £5 without display, or about £12 with display of %PWM
However things like crank and cam, can't really be simulated, as you could not tie them to the phases externally, so you're limited to what can be simulated for use to test the car ...

I regularly build custom looms to drive components, for instance roof motors while utilising the inbuilt micro switches, with overrides, so we can cycle a roof either in the car or on the bench, or for the 575 Super America a loom included a external piggy control for chromatic darkness and OBD connector to allow the diagnostic to be plugged in to monitor or active/override the inputs of the car or my switches ... but each one is so unique to test/cycle something that the manufacturer failed to provide, and apart from the 575 which there are only a hundred or so cars built (but a roof that could cost £20k+ if mis-diagnosed, or worse blown while trying to diagnose), is for models we see regularly ... something most general garages don't have the benefit of!

So yes IMHO I think there is a need, but when you crunch the numbers, there are few general/generic applications, and based on costs, for us at least we tend to make as many dedicated "tools" as generic ones, and the generic ones can be made for far less than anything i've seen commercially ... plus you need to understand how to use them ... if you do, then you probably could make it yourself ... and you really should know what you are doing with substitute resistors or voltage generators as it's easy to blow ECU's :oops:

I'll say one thing, if you don't understand Ohm's law, STOP :!: :!:

but, as I started, don't be put off, and I'm more than happy to share my experiences and learn new tricks, that's the whole point of a discussion forum ... constructive and nurturing solid debate, helping people see the risks before they make a mistake, or find a useful new technique or trick to help them ... bring it on :D

Were there any specific things you had in mind? Sensors etc?
Commercial products you'd seen?

HTH
Richard
Last edited by FioranoCars on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Most certainly YES - Substituted into a Input Sensor it will prove Wiring, ECU & appropriate actuator reactions in minutes !! and makes Hard DTC's go away.

Substituted into a Coolant Temp Sensor and you can play games with Coolant Fans, Injector Durations, O2 Sensors, Knock Sensors, EGR, Instrument Cluster, Injection & Spark Timing .................

Richard has given you some great ideas above.

Here is a good product http://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/automo ... 327-p.html

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Hi All

I use one of these http://www.jyetech.com/Products/085/e085.php

sine square triangle variable offset and voltage

also supposed to be able to program custom wave forms such as possible crank sensor but not tried yet

works well for things like lambda variable offset means you can sent the offset high or low
good for general signals

should add its kit form but only an hour with a soldering iron

Thanks Andrew