UK MOT Consultation for Historic Cars almost closed ...

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

UK MOT Consultation for Historic Cars almost closed ...

Post by FioranoCars »

I'm not normally one to respond to surveys, but the UK is considering changing the MOT needs for historic and generally cars over 40years or 30years old ... and you don't need to be an MOT test to understand corrosion, hydroscopic brake fluid (or siezed parts in that critical function!) etc

So you have till just before mignight on the 2 November 2016 to have a formal input!

The Government site is here with a link to the survey for the consultation:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... c-interest

The direct Survey link is here:
http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ALPSZ/

or email:
roadworthinesstesting@dft.gsi.gov.uk

This is the prior "information" only consultation and what people said about it:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... -and-vans/
[/mounting high horse]
I honestly can't believe a blanket "no need to check old cars" is being considered!
[/dis-mount high horse]
It's well worth having you input heard

Sorry to interupt your day, if you are not in the UK, but feel free to submit a survey, there is no geo-check for who/where you are :D

Richard

STC
Banned

Re: UK MOT Consultation for Historic Cars almost closed ...

Post by STC »

I honestly can't believe a blanket "no need to check old cars" is being considered!
I would have thought there is more of a need to test old cars. I don't get the "Hackney Carriages" being exempt ??

In London, particularly around Heathrow, The S & E Class Mercs are very popular as Taxi's and they have to be tested every 6 months regardless, a brand new car driven out of the showroom this morning will have to be tested before it gets it's badge. They go beyond the normal MOT as they look for Fire Extinguishers, First Aid kits amongst other stuff, nevertheless a full inspection, MOT is carried out on brand spanking new cars.

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

STC wrote:I would have thought there is more of a need to test old cars.
Precisely, and lunacy to think old cars are driven safer (classic car rally anyone!), if you have a steering arm about to fail, it'll only take a pot hole or speed bump (usually by a Zebra/Pedestrian Crossing) and the car is then directionally having a mind of it's own ...

Some of these old duffers in the House of Lords (and in the Civil Service) need their heads examining :wink: (assuming they had a brain cell in the first place). Saving these owners £55 is going to cost far more when a life is lost, or Motorway (with no hard shoulders mostly) accident occurs due to one of these "death traps" breaking down ...

Ok, back to playing with a scope for a few hours ...

:twisted: CHILL :evil: ... Chill :x ... chill :cry: ... ch ... :)

Richard

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Saving these owners £55 is going to cost far more when a life is lost,
This will open up another can of worms with any MOT Station owners on here, Who pays £55 for an MOT these days ?

Servicing Stop, Kwik fit, Halfords will do them for £20 - £25. Then the independents are competing with that.