NVH 3 or 4 channels

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

NVH 3 or 4 channels

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Hi all
Other the the cost implication whats the difference between the 3 and 4

Can a 3 be upgrade to a 4

our current pico is 4425

Thanks andrew

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: NVH 3 or 4 channels

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi Andrew
In terms of upgrade, yes it is, that's how we arrived where we are. Well, we were a single channel kit, so we also needed the PQ027! (£115)

The accessories page of the NVH shows the 4th Axis upgrade, PQ029, which is currently £289 (inc Foam Tray worth £29), verse £210 if you buy it all at once (no Foam).

4th Channel differences and applications, I think someone else who uses both 3rd and 4th Channels regularly (or the Pico team) are best, as sadly we've not had much need to use in anger, so sorry.

I'd be interested to hear some answers/feedback too, and outside of prop shafts, where the optical sensor would be usable, as we don't have that toy :shock: .

I also noticed a Mongoose J2534 lead was now available as an optional part of the Kit, so would like to know which other J2534 PassThru leads were supported, or if any old ELM still sufficed (does the Mongoose have addition feature capabilities I guess is my question!)?

And finally, sorry, is the microphone capable of being used like a "first-look" piezo sensor, or am I barking up the wrong tree (we do have a First-Look, but was just curious)?

Half an answer at least!
Richard

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

Hi Richard

thanks for the reply in that case i might just go for the 3 channel and upgrade if i need to although Im not sure I need to get a 3 channel either

But i do love toys I must admit i made a first look type device using a pizo mic works very well be interesting to know if nvh mic would work in similar way

Thanks Andrew

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

We wanted the NVH as we had many suspension and engine issues we thought it would lead to quicker diagnostics, sadly not had a stream of those since, just odd ones, and often it seems that post a normal diagnosis (ie without NVH) you can look back at the captures and make the NVH diagnosis fit ... but sometimes only because you know the issue, to work it forwards would not have been possible as too many components and ratio's - especially those of 2nd or 3rd order ...

So basically, send us loads of vibrating Donkeys and Bull's so we can play and become adept witht he tool :lol: :lol:

In the meantime, I guess I need to read more case studies and have more answers, to generate more & more specific questions :? :?

Never got a lot of value out of the First Look, but like the PicoDiagnostics program, with mainly 8,10 and 12 cylinders our cars are much harder to work on than 4pots as the inherent balance and speed of events pushes the response times etc to the edge (or often beyond) ... but we'll keep trying.

Richard

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

I had a dilemma between 3 and 4 channel. Bought 4 channel and would regret other decision.

It's like should I get 2 or 4 channel scope. You want all you can get.

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi Volrum
Have you got an example of practical use where 3 channels was not useful but 4 where?
Just trying to understand? I've got 4 myself, just not used all 4 yet! :D

Thanks
RIchard

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by volrem »

I can't say I use NVH (or 4 channel) very much. Actually I hate dealing with NVH but it's good to have tool that makes my life easier when I need it.

I usually use only 1-2 channels on my scope but it's good to have two more when I need it. Well actually I would like to have 6-8 channels or option to connect 2 scopes into one software but that's different story.

But practical example.

When I have vibration and noise at the same time then I use accelerometer and microphone at the same time.

Or sometimes I measure vibration in two points at the same time. For example one sensor in front and other in the boot. There is an issue with that. One sensor gives me up to three axis while other only one axis. I guess I sould make a feature request for option to choose which axis on which interface is connected to which channel. So I could see for example X and Y on both interfaces.

I have used two sensors at the same time to determine main area of brake vibration. Also for engine vibration.

It would be awesome if there would a switch on interface that allows me to choose if three axis should be sent out individually (three channels) or summed into one channel (like it was in first version). This way I could theoretically use up to four sensors.

I hope someone in Pico reads this post and add that software idea into "Ideas funnel".